Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Flirting is her personality?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Wow, this is just a crazy one I never thought I would have to post.

So, my girlfriend of 4 months, who, I have known for nearly a year and a half; I care for her so much, so, so much. I don't want to leave her, I'm not even sure I could. :heart:

Here's the big problem:

She's always had a flirtatious personality, as does her friends, but she never really did it to much of an extent. She is one for attention, mainly because she had a very rough time a few years ago, feeling unloved, unwanted, etc. (Which has now subsided, but the want for attention remains) It bugged me slightly early in the relationship, so I asked her to stop, and she did. Everything is great, but about a month an a half ago, I noticed it returning...but it wasn't the same, it was more of a non-chalant flirting mode, like taking a hat and putting it on, poking, etc. Normally, I would say she was returning to her old ways, but it's gotten worse, now, it isn't flirting, it's to EVERYONE, not just to random guys, but to girls, older people, and even parents. I've tried to talk to her about it, but she becomes defensive and demands an explanation on what 'flirting actually is' and ends usually with the phrase, 'everyone just needs to get over it'.

The problem worsens, as now, her high school classmates are beginning to call her derogatory names, and her parents are beginning to do the same. (Even though she is in no way a slut or whore at all, in fact, quite the opposite)

This has become second nature to her, and she doesn't even see herself doing it. It seems she feels it is totally normal, and doesn't see flirting whatsoever, yet can't figure out why people are calling her these things, and random guys hitting on her.

I talked to one of her best friends whom I trust very much, and she maintains as well that something has to be done, and totally sees everything that I see and agrees whole heartedly.

Any suggestions on how to approach this issue calmly, without hurting her, nor angering her too much. She needs to know about this, and see what she is doing, but I am worried it almost is impossible. :nervous:

Thank you so much, and I can't leave her, so don't suggest it... :no:

Comments

• Options
    I don't see the problem ... she flirts a lot, so what its harmless. People call her names, I'm sure she's a big enough girl to deal with some people slagging her off.

I don't know, i'm tired and not really awake yet perhaps i read your post wrong or maybe you've made a big deal out of nothing particularly big.
  • Options
    Satai wrote:
    Thank you so much, and I can't leave her, so don't suggest it... :no:

I'm fairly sure your safe there ... i'm pretty sure no ones going to tell you to leave her because she flirts.
  • Options
    She flirts with other people, but shes with you!
    Stop worrying.
    You could always talk about how you feel, but that could make her feel bad and then she could get annoyed.
    If thats her personality though, and you want to change her, she wont be the same person. ISnt that one of the reasons you like her?
  • Options
    Satai wrote:
    I talked to one of her best friends whom I trust very much, and she maintains as well that something has to be done, and totally sees everything that I see and agrees whole heartedly.

try talking to her?
  • Options
    i have a friend who flirts without even realising it. she's just a naturally friendly, smiley and happy person and sometimes her mannerisms could be construed as being flirtacious. but she's really not and doesn't believe us when we tell her she's a flirt. i shouldn't worry, even if intentional it'll just be harmless.
  • Options
    Between me and my gf we're probably two of the most flirtacious people around, but I most certainly dont do it intentioanlly and hat obviously negates any kind of agenda that i hope to achieve by it. Same goes for the missus.
    So, its just behaviour...habit...it doesnt mean anything unless you actually want it to.
    Alls im saying is that if its unintentional (im sure your straight enough in the head to see if your missus is actually trying to get into someone elses pants with it) then it doesnt matter.
    I think you've built this one up a lil more than what it actually is.
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with a bit of flirting. Flirting can be completely harmless and absolutely nothing meant by it, If ya classing poking, pinching hats and wearing them as flirting then I flirt constantly. it's the way I am...around new people as an ice breaker, around friends as a way of being cheerful and friendly and adding a bit of mischief and life to the going on. I wouldn't say anything needs to be done about the way she's acting, sounds quite normal to me, but I do think you and others around need to lighten up and stop taking things so seriously and those calling her names need to grow up and realise that firstly flirting doesn't make you a slut or anything else and secondly a girls allowed her fun however she wants and she should be allowed to live her life how she wants.
  • Options
    well i used 2 be exactly the same from what you have said about your girlfriend. I flirted with other guys infront of him but i did stop because he told me i was makin him look a fool infront of his friends they thought he was a complete idiot for putting up with me flirting ryte infront of him and he asked if i would hate it if he did it 2 me and thats what make me stop maybe you should ask her the same thing.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies all!

I've never been a fan of flirtacious behaviour with my women, it just bugs me. And it's usually a thing I can deal without with much trouble, but with her it's a little beyond. Like, she'll do things that make everyone feel wierd, such as rub someone's stomach in a flirty type manner that is 40 years older... (Happened last night)

It's kind of to an extent to where people would have relatively no idea we were together unless I had my arm around her, it just is slightly embarassing I suppose, and I'm trying to get a way to tell her that without making her feel horrible, or angry.

I kind of like the idea that Claire88 had, what does everyone else think?
  • Options
    Personally ya can try it, but wouldn't have any effect on me, I'd just say go for it. Generally people who are flirty don't really care if their partners are as well cos as I said there's nothing meant by it when they do it so why the hell should there be when their partner does it. Plus if people try and make me change I tend to rebel and do whatever it is worse than I was doing before. But then I'm an awkward swine.