Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do relationships matter anymore?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Most of my friends, male and female, seem to be backstabbing and sleep around a lot. Regulary I hear how they slept with someone for the worst reasons, how they dumped someone or rejected someone with no regard for other peoples feelings. This may sound silly but I have always been brought up to respect other people and think of other people when you act around them and talk to them.
Am I wrong not to sleep around and be selfish?
Is it wrong to feel jealous that people who act this way have more luck finding people even if they do screw them over?
Am I just in a bad area?
Am I old fashioned?
Are proper relationships dead?
Do I ask too many questions?

Comments

• Options
    Yes, they do.
  • Options
    if people want to sleep around, they will. doesn't mean you have to do the same, doesn't mean you have to like it. proper relationships aren't dead, i think you'll find that there are just as many people in a 'proper' relationship as there are people who sleep around. it's not old fashioned, it's personal preference.
  • Options
    Yes relationships matter and I think as people get older they matter more. But everyone's different and not everyone is like that. Stick with your values and you'll find people who don't treat others in the ways you state as well.
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with being young, free, single and having fun sex.

There's nothing wrong with being a virgin and only doing it for love.

You do what you're happy with, and the world will sort itself out.
  • Options
    Most of my friends, male and female, seem to be backstabbing and sleep around a lot. Regulary I hear how they slept with someone for the worst reasons, how they dumped someone or rejected someone with no regard for other peoples feelings. This may sound silly but I have always been brought up to respect other people and think of other people when you act around them and talk to them.
    To be honest, if you hang around with people like that too much other people might assume you're like them...
    Am I wrong not to sleep around and be selfish?
    If you're comfortable.
    Is it wrong to feel jealous that people who act this way have more luck finding people even if they do screw them over?
    Easy people get more attention, especially if they're female. I kinda get how you mean as I'm quite a shy person and it doesn't seem like most people want somebody who wants something over a quickie dow the back alley. But there are men and women out there who want more.
    Am I just in a bad area?
    Maybe.. Or maybe you go out to bad places.
    Am I old fashioned?
    Nahh... The Romans had orgies.
    Are proper relationships dead?
    Hope not, still ain't found my firefly yet either! Nah I doubt it very much mate... I have many friends who are very much in love.
  • Options
    Relationships do matter, but then everyone is different. Your friends obviously do what they want because they get something out of it, however you shouldn't feel odd because you have a different set of morals. :thumb:
  • Options
    For me personally, relationships don't matter. Yeah, many people my age (16) are with someone but I'm not. I'm not moaning or anything because I'm not interested in being with anyone right now...
  • Options
    if people are young free and single and wanna have loads of sex let them....i don't see anything wrong as long as they're being sensible and not giving each other loads of diseases
    however, if you wanna be doing abit of bed hopping then at least make sure you're single....i think it's selfish otherwise
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i think it's selfish otherwise

I agree.
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    if people want to sleep around, they will. doesn't mean you have to do the same, doesn't mean you have to like it. proper relationships aren't dead, i think you'll find that there are just as many people in a 'proper' relationship as there are people who sleep around. it's not old fashioned, it's personal preference.

i would tend to agree with Kat B. Personaly I prefere to be in a 'proper' loving relationship. I just don't agree with sleeping around and using other people to get what you want.
  • Options
    Oh I don't think it's technology, more society's "you can have your cake and eat it too" attitude.

And the fact that the more famous celebrities are usually among the worst offenders doesn't help either.
  • Options
    personally i wouldnt sleep with anyone without being VERY close to them and loving them very much (unless i was blind drunk out of my skull) but thats just the way i am, as well as being a romantic. So in that way i dont think relationships are dying because my area seems to be blooming in them!

On the other hand i guess some people can/do just do one night stands and such but there you go.

You sure you're not getting too influenced my Eastenders by any chance? I blame anything that gives love and relationships a bad name, on Eastenders. They're such a load of pessimists!
    Sorry gone off track.
    Anyway yeh, could be the media and tele portraying soceity as worse than it is . again.
  • Options
    Relationships matter when you're in love..otherwise sleeping around isn't that big a deal because you don't really love your partner or vice versa.