Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ze girlfriend...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, i've been going out with my girlfriend for 4 months today (woo, i don't even get to see her either!) It's not long distance or anything, just a short bus journey away, so we see each other about 3/4 times a week, although for only ~3/4hours each time

Throughout these 4 months its felt as if i've had to put in most of the effort, and the only thing she's committed to is her work, not me. Fair enough, she wants to go to a good uni, but it does feel as if i'm just there for when she wants me and nothing else. She's not exactly making me feel very important tbh.

But now, and I dunno if i'm over-reacting here, she wont even be able to come out during the night/stay round mine for my birthday (this coming friday). Her reason for this is that she's got a Cambridge interview for the thursday after that. Now, this is 6 days after, so I dont see what the problem would be. Her excuse was "i have 2 books to read for the interview", which she has just under 2 weeks to do now. After I asked her she said "it's not about the reading, just I cant afford to miss out on sleep". Because, staying round mine means she wont get any sleep :/ Last night, when i questioned her about this, she got into a big mood with me, saying I dont understand etc, and just seemed off with me for the rest of the night (after I had just taken her out as well!). In all fairness, I think I should have been the one pissed off at that time, yet I didnt raise my voice at all (unlike her, woo) and actually put in some effort to talk when she was being quiet and just watching tv. She's 18 in a few weeks and sometimes still acts like a spoilt kid, getting everything but giving little or nothing back :/

She's just never prepared to give up anything for me, whereas in my past relationships, both me and the partner at the time did everything for eachother. So i dunno if its just me expecting too much from her, or just her being a bitch to me :p

She's going to some ball tonight, so I wont see her, and she'll be doing her work during the afternoon so I probably wont even get to talk to her at all today. Coming onto msn and working at the same time is too much effort for her - and they say women can multitask :}

So to sum up my long, poorly-written post; am I right in being annoyed with her, or am I just over-reacting?

Comments

• Options
    I think your right to be mad at her, i think if i was in that situation i would be feeling exactly the same. Why is she going to a ball tonight if she has all this work to do, i would say with it being your birthday that is something important too and something that your GF should be apart of. I think you need to sit down and have a serious talk to her about how you feel etc relationships are about compramise, you both have to be happy and should find a middle ground, maybe she could come around for a little bit and then go home or something, then you can share your birthday with her and she wont lose any sleep.
  • Options
    Yah, we were thinking of her coming round for a bit. In this case an hour probably :( But I dont really see the point, considering she'll have to go home on her own after as well. Plus if she did come back to mine, she would get sleep, it's not like i'd be tying her down to the bed and having my way with her all night. So I dont see what her problem is :p
  • Options
    Can you not spend some time together in the day, so then you have more than just an hour together? I think you should talk, explain how it's making you feel and see what she has to say. If she's still being like she is then leave her to it, if things don't change then maybe you should have a good think about everything ( you know what i mean )
  • Options
    You mean smack the bitch up. I'll see if i can spend more time with her during the day, but you know... she might have work :rolleyes: It's also the fact that she promised me she'd do everything she could to come and stay over as well. She never even bothered telling me she couldnt come till i asked her about it! So it would have been awesome if it came to friday and I was let down on the day :p

But yah, i'll try talk to her again, even though she'll probably just start telling me that I dont understand and just stop talking to me.

Some girls >:|
  • Options
    In my opinion you have been together for four months. In that short space of time you sound like your expecting her to be your everything, she wants to go to uni, she wants a career, i think she is very sensible. If she was clingy you would also moan about that.
    Back off or you will lose her.
  • Options
    I'm not expecting her to be my everything, im expecting her to see me on my birthday and put a little more effort in :p And on top of the 4 months, i've pretty much been her best friend for over a year, so its not as short as it seems. I'm at uni now, I want a career, I'm running a few websites, and i'm quite active, too, yet I can still find a lot of time to spend with her. I wouldn't mind if she was a lil bit more clingy, if she says she loves me i think she can do something for me sometimes ;)
  • Options
    Maybe she is afraid, its not just us men that fear commitment. Has she been hurt in the past?
  • Options
    so she can go to some ball but not see you on your birthday?

she's right to concentrate on her studies but it is your birthday!
  • Options
    tbh maybe its her parents and she just doesn't want to say. they might be putting pressure on her and its easier not to argue with them until her exams are over and out of the way. i wouldn't worry about it she's at a point in her life where it could make or break her future so she'll have a lot of stress added with you and her parents (maybe) it might all be a bit much. just give her space and be understanding i'd say. be supportive.
  • Options
    If she's like this before she goes to Cambridge, I'd consider backing off, and spending more time on other friends...

On the other hand- although the 9-16 hours a week that you do get is a fair chunk of time.
  • Options
    MrBroked wrote:
    Right, i've been going out with my girlfriend for 4 months today (woo, i don't even get to see her either!) It's not long distance or anything, just a short bus journey away, so we see each other about 3/4 times a week, although for only ~3/4hours each time

Throughout these 4 months its felt as if i've had to put in most of the effort, and the only thing she's committed to is her work, not me. Fair enough, she wants to go to a good uni, but it does feel as if i'm just there for when she wants me and nothing else. She's not exactly making me feel very important tbh.

But now, and I dunno if i'm over-reacting here, she wont even be able to come out during the night/stay round mine for my birthday (this coming friday). Her reason for this is that she's got a Cambridge interview for the thursday after that. Now, this is 6 days after, so I dont see what the problem would be. Her excuse was "i have 2 books to read for the interview", which she has just under 2 weeks to do now. After I asked her she said "it's not about the reading, just I cant afford to miss out on sleep". Because, staying round mine means she wont get any sleep :/ Last night, when i questioned her about this, she got into a big mood with me, saying I dont understand etc, and just seemed off with me for the rest of the night (after I had just taken her out as well!). In all fairness, I think I should have been the one pissed off at that time, yet I didnt raise my voice at all (unlike her, woo) and actually put in some effort to talk when she was being quiet and just watching tv. She's 18 in a few weeks and sometimes still acts like a spoilt kid, getting everything but giving little or nothing back :/

She's just never prepared to give up anything for me, whereas in my past relationships, both me and the partner at the time did everything for eachother. So i dunno if its just me expecting too much from her, or just her being a bitch to me :p

She's going to some ball tonight, so I wont see her, and she'll be doing her work during the afternoon so I probably wont even get to talk to her at all today. Coming onto msn and working at the same time is too much effort for her - and they say women can multitask :}

So to sum up my long, poorly-written post; am I right in being annoyed with her, or am I just over-reacting?

Starting to look for another girlfriend would be my suggestion.
  • Options
    And why would another girlfriend be more important than trying to deal with the one you already have?
    I never understand that. Issues can be worked through and if you really love a person, jumping into another relationship just causes more problems in my opinion.
  • Options
    Ahhh sorted now I think. But a few posts here were right, like past relationship thing, parents (definitely her mum, she's a teacher as well). Then again, my mum's a teacher and she never puts pressure on me. Kinda had an argument with her last night, and told her I wasnt too happy :/ Bit mean of me, but at least she agreed to put more effort in.

But now she just invited me to lunch with her parents and a grandparent without even asking me about it... I think i'm going to die :(
  • Options
    So you see her for ten hours a week and you're complaining.

I think she's right- you don't understand. Cambridge is a big thing for her, and the interviews are really difficult, and you're moaning that you can't see her instead of supporting her through something that is a huge deal to her.

I don't think people who haven't applied for the top unis realise just how much work goes into getting there. Oxbridge interviews are killers, and you need to prepare as if it was an exam.

You are being very selfish. She needs your support during something like this, not carping at because getting into Oxbridge is more important to her than a fuck on your birthday.
  • Options
    The fuck thing on my birthday, I'm not even expecting that ;) And about the preparation, I helped her write her personal statement and spent a quite a few hours asking friends and looking on the net for good examples, as well as getting notes on interviews for her. She has been preparing like mad and already done 2 mock interviews and weekly oxbridge lessons in school, so a day off wont kill her. My ex applied and got an offer at cambridge last year and she never had to do THIS MUCH preparation. Also this isnt just because of the upcoming interview, she has always been bad with putting effort in, but now its just got even worse.

...and the 10 hours a thing is complete shit imo. Going back to the ex, she lived nearish to Newcastle, then moved to Edinburgh, yet we still saw eachother every week for more than 10 hours (with her either flying into london or me getting the train there), and we were together for nearly a year. I guess coming from that, I just expect my girlfriend to be somewhat committed, and not just expect me to put all the effort in.

Also bringing up what someone else has said. I am worried about what she'll be like once she gets to uni, and i'll probably be the one actually bothering to keep contact with her at that time.

EDIT: thinking about it, whoever it was that said it might be her parents, I think is spot on. Thinking about it, she does pretty much everything her mum tells her to do. Once her mum even got jealous that I saw her 2 days in row :/ But anyway, it is sorted now, so I guess i'll just see what happens from here on...
  • Options
    MrBroked wrote:
    The fuck thing on my birthday, I'm not even expecting that ;) And about the preparation, I helped her write her personal statement and spent a quite a few hours asking friends and looking on the net for good examples, as well as getting notes on interviews for her. She has been preparing like mad and already done 2 mock interviews and weekly oxbridge lessons in school, so a day off wont kill her. My ex applied and got an offer at cambridge last year and she never had to do THIS MUCH preparation. Also this isnt just because of the upcoming interview, she has always been bad with putting effort in, but now its just got even worse.

...and the 10 hours a thing is complete shit imo. Going back to the ex, she lived nearish to Newcastle, then moved to Edinburgh, yet we still saw eachother every week for more than 10 hours (with her either flying into london or me getting the train there), and we were together for nearly a year. I guess coming from that, I just expect my girlfriend to be somewhat committed, and not just expect me to put all the effort in.

Also bringing up what someone else has said. I am worried about what she'll be like once she gets to uni, and i'll probably be the one actually bothering to keep contact with her at that time.

EDIT: thinking about it, whoever it was that said it might be her parents, I think is spot on. Thinking about it, she does pretty much everything her mum tells her to do. Once her mum even got jealous that I saw her 2 days in row :/ But anyway, it is sorted now, so I guess i'll just see what happens from here on...

You shouldn't really compare her to ex's though, wont do you any good.