Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

US stops UN from unlimited access to Guantanamo

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story

Is this because there is tourture against the Human Rights act going on I wonder?

Yet again the USA is being the master of hypocracy, its government would be the first to complain about Human rights abuses in other states

Comments

• Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Story

Is this because there is tourture against the Human Rights act going on I wonder?
    Yes.
    Yet again the USA is being the master of hypocracy, its government would be the first to complain about Human rights abuses in other states
    Yes again.

Make no mistake, even if it ended tomorrow with everyone being freed, the shame that is Guantamo Bay will haunt America for decades to come.
  • Options
    What the H Blocks were to the Northern Ireland situation Guantamo Bay will be to the 'War on Terror'.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I am not supprised. They don't want them to get proof of what happens.
  • Options
    what a joke. they go around getting stressed when other countries wont let the UN inspect stuff n now they sayin no. Someone shud teach em a lesson me thinks.
  • Options
    reminds me of the guy who once ruled iraq.
    what are the american people thinking ...doing?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Make no mistake, even if it ended tomorrow with everyone being freed, the shame that is Guantamo Bay will haunt America for decades to come.
    I agree. This is a complete farce. Wasn't one of the main precipitants of military action in Iraq the fact that Saddam Hussain wouldn't allow access to the weapons inspectors?

How could the mess that is Iraq possibly get any worse?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    unless of course those other states are doing it on behave of the US.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    How could the mess that is Iraq possibly get any worse?
    Probably not, but I think we can all agree that it isn't going anywhere fast, and if this keeps up...

Oh and on the plus side Bush's approval rating drop to 36%, and my faith in my countrymen has risen a little.
  • Options
    Oh and on the plus side Bush's approval rating drop to 36%, and my faith in my countrymen has risen a little.
    1 in 3 still "approve"? :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    :D
  • Options
    At the very least Kentish, 1 in 3 of my countrymen believe that they are told the objective truth by US media, especially those who give any consideration to Fox News.

In the end, I can assure you that without any formal and wholly independent national enquiry into the criminality of this government as well as its lackies on both sides of the aisle in Congress, any change will be purely cosmetic.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    lol, yeah I wonder at that myself sometimes.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    lol, yeah I wonder at that myself sometimes.

It's true. But you forget that, that means 2/3 disapprove. Perhaps the next election will be better for America?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    It's true. But you forget that, that means 2/3 disapprove. Perhaps the next election will be better for America?
    I'll be voting green, but I think the best that can be hoped for is the election of a Democrat. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Do people have short memories though....remember we still have three more years of Mr Bush.
  • Options
    Guantanamo Bay is a very very interesting Paradox of politics. when i studied human rights at university we debated heavily whether it was legal in terms of American Society, In world society it is illegal but as the whole world turns a blind eye to china and russia and north korea, we ignored the international perspective. but in terms of American society its tricky because the prisoners are not americans...they are not in america itself so technically they have no rights under american law, even though the soil is american soil it is still in cuba and the prisoners are not prisoners of war but apprehended none combatants...

basically, its fucked up! (pardon my language) the whole thing is totally hypocritical of the United States...the so called "land of the free" and i wonder what world we would be in if Clinton had been allowed to run for a 3rd time like the whole planet wanted hm to, including most of America! Viva La Clinton!!!