Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Eyeshadow

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Now I dont wear much, and its usually neutral, but I just put on one color the whole way across. There must be more interesting techniques than that. I was also watching desperate houswives the other day and noticed brie had georgous eyeshadow look. I'm not sure if you have that show... damn, I tried but I can't find a good picture of what I saw... I guess to explain, it has multiple colors and it starts light near the nose side then on the other side it gets like darker and the darker is almost like a sideways v or something. but it blends nicely and it just looks great. I hope you knwo what I'm talking about. Anywyas, techniques would be cool, thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    I always make mine darker at the outside edge of my eye and fade it as it goes along towards my nose...if that makes sense... that way it enhances you eyelashes.
  • Options
    i suggest you go to one of the beauty counters in your local department store. I had a chanel makeover, they used their quad eyeshadows, and showed me the different techniques to apply the eyeshadow and how to get different effects. Best way to learn is for someone to show you and then go home and practice practice practice!
  • Options
    They always charge for that and I'm ultra poor.
  • Options
    I'm confused by eyeshadow too :crazyeyes what works for me is applying the colour all over, then making it darker at the corners. How good the shading looks depends on what eye shape you have though... so go for the trial and error method and experiment.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    They always charge for that and I'm ultra poor.
    are you sure?
    if you show an interest in a product and ask how to put it on i think you would get it done for free.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    are you sure?
    if you show an interest in a product and ask how to put it on i think you would get it done for free.

Yes. I am sure.
    Plus, department stores and make up stores do not give you technique. They apply colors in a very general basic fashion so you can see the color. To get technique you would have to go to somebody who specalizes, and charges more.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Yes. I am sure.
    Plus, department stores and make up stores do not give you technique. They apply colors in a very general basic fashion so you can see the color. To get technique you would have to go to somebody who specalizes, and charges more.
    maybe it's different over there then.
    because i've been to the mac counter in a department store and they put the make-up on and told me how they did it. they then did it on a pice of paper to show me too.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    maybe it's different over there then.
    because i've been to the mac counter in a department store and they put the make-up on and told me how they did it. they then did it on a pice of paper to show me too.

Yes, thats what I would have assumed. Hence why I came here and asked as it would have been my best guess as to where to get hints.
  • Options
    well
    i blend it going from light to dark using a neutral shadow and a coloured one.
    you could put some of the colour around your bottom eyeshadows too if you do it carefully.
  • Options
    Most big brands are more than happy to give a makeover free of charge. They want you to buy the products don't they , so they don't just slap it on they take time in showing you a look for the evening and a look for the day time, so you think wow that looks good I should buy that! Not that you will go right ahead and buy there makeup and you shouldnt feel like you have to! If you can't go to the department store, then go to Boots. Their counters are always free!
  • Options
    Pink_Angel wrote:
    Most big brands are more than happy to give a makeover free of charge. They want you to buy the products don't they , so they don't just slap it on they take time in showing you a look for the evening and a look for the day time, so you think wow that looks good I should buy that! Not that you will go right ahead and buy there makeup and you shouldnt feel like you have to! If you can't go to the department store, then go to Boots. Their counters are always free!

I think you forgot to read the rest of the thread where I said that they *do not* do that. And as I don't live in europe so I have no idea what a Boots is.

Anyways, lipsy, that sounds sexy and what I would be trying to go for, could you maybe elaborate a bit more? Or is that really about it and I'm just dense :p Thanks.
  • Options
    How about picking up a make up instruction manual ? My mum bought me one when i was about 11 ish and it helped loads in my teenage years. Other than that, keep your eyes out for magazines that give step by step instructions on how to achieve the look of the featured celebrity.
  • Options
    Oh I didn't even think of the magazine part. Thanks! (Since I'm never around, if you ever see any wanna let me know :p )
  • Options
    Other than that, keep your eyes out for magazines that give step by step instructions on how to achieve the look of the featured celebrity.

You can also find these on the web. Go to Google and type in "Get the look" or "get her look".

Now I don't know anything about Desperate Housewives apart from the fact that it is shown over here, but please, tell me there isn't someone named after a French cheese in it?! :lol:
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    You can also find these on the web. Go to Google and type in "Get the look" or "get her look".

Now I don't know anything about Desperate Housewives apart from the fact that it is shown over here, but please, tell me there isn't someone named after a French cheese in it?! :lol:

I've actually known quite a few girls named Brie thru the years. I work with one now.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Anyways, lipsy, that sounds sexy and what I would be trying to go for, could you maybe elaborate a bit more? Or is that really about it and I'm just dense :p Thanks.
    erm im not sure how else i could describe it!
    just get a neutral eyeshadow and put that on your lid. then get a colour and apply it thickly at the corner (away from your nose) and then kinda blend it into the neutral so it goes from dark to light.
    then if its at night time blend a bit around the far corner of your eyes and towards your bottom eyelashes.

thats the best i could do sorry. i dont have a pic or anything on my laptop to show you.
  • Options
    Oh that makes sense. Thanks. I shall try it out tonight :thumb:
    then if its at night time blend a bit around the far corner of your eyes and towards your bottom eyelashes.

What kind of effect does that give?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I've actually known quite a few girls named Brie thru the years. I work with one now.

Do you know anyone called Camembert? :D
  • Options
    No but I knew one named limburger... not really...
  • Options
    my friend showed me how she applied hers:

most big make up brands do sets of eyeshadows in tonal colours... say a cream, a light brown and darker brown. so if you start with the cream one, put it all over your eye and right up to your eyebrow, on the brow bone. then (best to use an eyeshadow brush for this if you can get hold of one) apply the middly colour all over the lid, up to the crease. then take a thinner eyeliner/eyeshadow brush and apply the darkest colour along the top of your eyelashes and just below the bottom lashes kinda winging it out at the corner.. you do need a brush to do this it looks much better if you do, then make sure there are no harsh lines, you can use a cotton bud to blend everything together. then apply mascara and you're done.
  • Options
    Well I tried what you said, Lipsy, last night. It was much easier than I thought it would be and looked fine. Thanks!