Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tories trying to derail 24-hour drinking bill

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4437512.stm

Spot the political opportunist hypocrite wankers :mad:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    24-hour opening has a lot of opposition, and it is the job of the Opposition to make this voice heard.

I don't see what you're upset about. For once, the Opposition are doing their job.

I agree with 24-hour opening, but that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be a full vote on it.
  • Options
    I am in favour of the Bill, but I do think the lead in time hasnt been long enough, loads of places havent got a new licence yet, so technically they will have to stop selling alcohol, but they wont.

That and some sort of test area might have been a good idea too.
  • Options
    Fact is not a single pub in the land has applied (to the best of my knowledge) for "24 hour drinking" hours.

Fact is only a small proportion of all pubs are applying for a licence extension.

Fact is most of those who are actually applying are only thinking of opening for an extra 2 hours a night.

Hardly the 24 hour drinking nightmare the fucking right wing press has been trying to paint.

The Tories know this full well, but they're still pressing ahead with this for purely political purposes.

And then they will go to their fucking private member clubs to have a drink and get plastered safe in the knowledge they can drink for as long as they please.

Some public service they provide!
  • Options
    The Tories have a political duty to hold all legislation to account, and that is what they are doing.

I agree with the idea of unrestricted opening, but I don't think this law has been thought through well, and has been rushed.

It also hides something more sinister- all licensed premises will have to re-register, at a cost of about a thousand pounds a time, all going to the Treasury.

I agree with the principle, but the law is rushed and ill-thought-out. It is also hiding a cost increase to licensees by pretending to fulfil a social purpose.
  • Options
    Just been looking around for a christmas venue, and whilst lots of places have applied for a 1am closing time, there isn't anyone we've met you has applied for longer.

The idea of 24 hour supermarkets selling booze all night is more interesting, not sure if any have applied though.
  • Options
    I haven't been to a "con club" yet that didn't do lock-in's.

Hypocrisy is the traditional tory way - waffle on about marriage in public and have a string of affairs in private - oppose homosexuality in public while being buggered wearing bin-bags and sucking oranges at home. etc.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The Tories have a political duty to hold all legislation to account, and that is what they are doing.

I agree with the idea of unrestricted opening, but I don't think this law has been thought through well, and has been rushed.

It also hides something more sinister- all licensed premises will have to re-register, at a cost of about a thousand pounds a time, all going to the Treasury.

I agree with the principle, but the law is rushed and ill-thought-out. It is also hiding a cost increase to licensees by pretending to fulfil a social purpose.
    I don't think the law was rushed in or ill-thought at all. In fact it's been many years in the making- since shortly after Labour got in back in 1997 if I'm not mistaken-, and the Tories haven't had anything much to say against it until very recently, when the ochestrated campaign by the right wing press started to gain momentum and the Tories realised there were political points to be scored.

As for having to pay for re-registering for late hours, well seeing as they stand to make many times more than a grand in the first year alone, I don't think it is unreasonable.

The only thing the government has been guilty of is not to be more aggressive in their PR campaign and explain clearly to the public that the much trumpeted "24 hour drinking" nightmare is nothing of the sort and it is not going to happen.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    As for having to pay for re-registering for late hours, well seeing as they stand to make many times more than a grand in the first year alone, I don't think it is unreasonable.

No, you misread.

ALL licensees have to, regardless of whether they apply for the new laws or not.
    The only thing the government has been guilty of is not to be more aggressive in their PR campaign and explain clearly to the public that the much trumpeted "24 hour drinking" nightmare is nothing of the sort and it is not going to happen.

Perhaps.

I think people have legitimate concerns though. We live opposite a pub and it DOES get rowdy at chucking out time on a Saturday night. We've had the police knocking on our door about incidents on more than one occasion. We don't mind it too much, it's just noise and swearing, and we did know about it when we moved in, but we have had some damage done to our car and I can see why older and more vulnerable people would feel frightened by it. I can also see why the same people would be terrified at the prospect that this pub could conceivably chuck out at 1am, 2am, 3am, whatever.

I think the press have a point, to be honest, there does need to be more safeguards put in. I don't think the law is as well-drafted as it should be. And we don't have a European cafe-bar drinking culture.

I do thinbk the current regimented hours cause more harm than good though, as everyone leaves everywhere at 11pm or 2am and all go to the kebab shop and taxi rank at the same time. Staggered closings would alleviate this problem.

I do think extended hours should happen though.
  • Options
    Kinky

_41019566_bingebody_getty.jpg

I need to start drinking more and getting action lke this!
  • Options
    Hasn't this law already been through the Commons, hasn't there already been a vote on it?

Isn't this a case of "shutting the stable door"...?
  • Options
    Hasn't this law already been through the Commons, hasn't there already been a vote on it?

Isn't this a case of "shutting the stable door"...?
    Pretty much, yes.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    Spot the political opportunist hypocrite wankers :mad:

Done! ;p

Like they can do anything... typical Tories. To late as usual. Bet they now all stay in the pub all night, drowning their sorrows longer as it is open 24/7.
  • Options
    it is a terrible bill, im all for stopping it. isnt binge drinking and drinking culture already bad enough in this Chav dominated nation of ours?
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    The idea of 24 hour supermarkets selling booze all night is more interesting, not sure if any have applied though.

The Tesco near me has applied for a 24 hour license. :chin:
  • Options
    The Tesco near me has applied for a 24 hour license. :chin:
    I think all Tescos are in the process of applying, if memory serves.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    it is a terrible bill, im all for stopping it. isnt binge drinking and drinking culture already bad enough in this Chav dominated nation of ours?

It will be the end of civilised society as we know it :yes:
  • Options
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:

Which do you think is worse, spending £50 on drink in 4 hours, or spending it in 12? Which do you think will have the worse effect.

People only have a finite amount of cash to spend on an evening out, at the moment it's a case of drink as much as you can before the pub closes at 11pm. Under this law they will need to make their cash last longer, if they want to stay longer.

Funnily enough this law is much like those on the continent where the same binge culture doesn't exist. Why do you think that is?
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:

Which nation is that then?

As for the rest of your post, MoK has beaten me to it.
  • Options
    Funnily enough this law is much like those on the continent where the same binge culture doesn't exist. Why do you think that is?

Then why do the Northern Irish drink as much as they do, they have been allowed to drink until 2am for ages now.

It isnt anywhere near as simple as just the hours you get to drink. We have a binge culture, we dont drink with food, we drink specifically to get drunk, thats the difference.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Hooray!

After 87 years of being treated like children by the State, the British join the rest of the world.

Incidentally, perhaps all those who bitterly complain about Labour creating a "nanny State" and yet were against returning drinking times to civilised levels would like to think about the folly of their position.

Because, forget about ID cards, forget about campaigns asking us to eat less salt, forget about everything else: nothing could be more nanny State that telling people they are not allowed to go out drinking after 11 pm because they are not responsible enough or they have to work the following day and they need to be in top form (which is the original reason for the restrictions :rolleyes: ).
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    Incidentally, perhaps all those who bitterly complain about Labour creating a "nanny State" and yet were against returning drinking times to civilised levels would like to think about the folly of their position.

Never bothered them before, has it?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    It isnt anywhere near as simple as just the hours you get to drink. We have a binge culture, we dont drink with food, we drink specifically to get drunk, thats the difference.

Which is kind of the point I was trying to make. It's our culture and attitude towards alcohol which is the problem, not the hours during which we can buy it.

Restricting those hours will make little or no difference.