Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Metropolitan Police using Banned Bullets

The Brazilian who was shot dead by police at Stockwell tube station was shot with dum-dum bullets, which are banned in warfare under international convention.

This is according to the Telegraph. Story.

And they decided to keep all this a secret.

Are people still pleased to justify the met's actions?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    The Brazilian who was shot dead by police at Stockwell tube station was shot with dum-dum bullets, which are banned in warfare under international convention.

This is according to the Telegraph. Story.

And they decided to keep all this a secret.

Are people still pleased to justify the met's actions?

Banned in warfare. Which is why they used them, just like when the Russian special forces used that opiate to knock out those Chechens. It is legal.
  • Options
    I guess there are two issues - the policy is shoot to kill, not shoot to disable (which would be good enough in war); and they wouldn't want the bullets to exit the body at a dangerous velocity since they are intended for short range use.

It seems they are not illegal for use by the police though.
  • Options
    i dont justify them and well yet more cover ups :(

what i never understood is that if these terroists are so clever surely a suicide bomber would use a pressure release trigger so when you die you lose grip on what you held and it set off the trigger thus removing all arguments for a shoot to kill policy
  • Options
    i dont justify them and well yet more cover ups :(

what i never understood is that if these terroists are so clever surely a suicide bomber would use a pressure release trigger so when you die you lose grip on what you held and it set off the trigger thus removing all arguments for a shoot to kill policy

they woldnt use that as they would be fucked when they want to pick thier nose or soemthing...
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I guess there are two issues - the policy is shoot to kill, not shoot to disable (which would be good enough in war); and they wouldn't want the bullets to exit the body at a dangerous velocity since they are intended for short range use.

It seems they are not illegal for use by the police though.
    Dum dum bullets are intended for short range use because they are less aerodynamic and I doubt they would rip through somebody like a paper bag and hit a little old lady on the other side.

As far as I know they are illegal, at least for the military (unsure about the police). I think it's seen as 'unnecessary suffering' in the Hague convention as they cause wider wounds than regular bullets. I have no idea why they were used.
  • Options
    Dum dum bullets are intended for short range use because they are less aerodynamic and I doubt they would rip through somebody like a paper bag and hit a little old lady on the other side.

As far as I know they are illegal, at least for the military (unsure about the police). I think it's seen as 'unnecessary suffering' in the Hague convention as they cause wider wounds than regular bullets. I have no idea why they were used.

Hollowpoints are used because of thier stopping power, makes sense with thier "shoot to kill" policy.
  • Options
    Was that not my point? :confused:
  • Options
    Before we completely damn the police here, let's not forget one thing. The Metropolitan Police have an extraordinarily difficult job to do. No matter what they're going to do to deal with potential terrorists, they're going to be criticised. I've been critical of them myself, and the way Sir Ian Blair has behaved like a recruiting agent for the Labour Party over the past week is deeply worrying. But let's remember they have a very hard job to do.

Here's something that may not be 100% relevant at first, but stay with me here. BBC One are broadcasting tonight, a documentary about the London bombings. Later on, Sir Ian Blair himself is giving the "Richard Dimbleby Lecture" about how the nature of police work is changing after July 7th. Do you think he will mention what happened at Stockwell tube station? Do you think he will do anything other than defend "shoot to kill" tactics and ignore the issue of the dead Brazilian? Sadly, I fear not.
  • Options
    Little chance of hitting old ladies when you shoot at a subject on the floor from 2 ft as he's being restrained though.

I'm surprised they haven't gone for mercury-filled bullets. Can't fail to kill with those. Better safe than sorry.
  • Options
    Before we completely damn the police here, let's not forget one thing. The Metropolitan Police have an extraordinarily difficult job to do

No, they have an impossible one to do. Which is why the current trend towards a police state is so pointless. We lose libereties and we will still get bombed. Pointless.

Just wish there was someone going to be brave enough to stand up in political circles and point out the damn obvious - that theres nothing can be done and we are going to have to look at it as a price of our standard of living that we piss people off attaining it.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Ooh. Nasty things. Guys often making their own out in Iraq, as well.

They may be banned in War. So what? Won't stop folks using them.
  • Options
    They're banned in International Warfare - police are allowed to use them. They're used by the police in this case because they do stop the target and they also don't go through the body and hit someone else.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    They're banned in International Warfare - police are allowed to use them. They're used by the police in this case because they do stop the target and they also don't go through the body and hit someone else.

what if a actual suicide bombers used a pressure release trigger, it'd go off anyway
  • Options
    what if a actual suicide bombers used a pressure release trigger, it'd go off anyway

You just have to hope they don't - because if someone is intent on killing themselves and have a pressure release switch there's no way to stop them.
  • Options
    What's that got to do with the type of bullets used? :confused:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    What's that got to do with the type of bullets used? :confused:

just making the point a shoot to kill policy is useless so we shouldnt even be debating what type of bullets they use
  • Options
    just making the point a shoot to kill policy is useless so we shouldnt even be debating what type of bullets they use

So what would you do instead - let them just wander around until they decide to release? I've yet to hear of a suicide bomber who uses pressure release mechanisms (not saying they haven't - just that its rare), so your argument doesn't really stand up.
  • Options
    Well, it seems effective.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Well, it seems effective.

Against Civilians. :rolleyes:

You find ALOT of suicide bombers do use pressure release switches actually. That's why - can't stop it, shoot them they die anyway. That little thing they hold up in their hand if often a pressure release switch.

If they aren't - count yourself lucky. The London Bombers did not - but then, they were not traditional suicide bombers with a bomb vest, switch, and run into a crowded restaurant types. Suicide bombing here, doesn't seem to work that way.
  • Options
    I think you're basing that little "fact" on the movie Speed.

Of course the de Menezes shooting was a terrible terrible mistake, it remains that the police succeeded in shooting to kill.
  • Options
    No, I am basing it on that alot of them either use pressure release, or a small plunger type device.

It is as easy to make a pressure release switch as it is any other form of switch. I saw a long program on methods of terrorism. Far to long realy, but interesting none the less. Including useful comment from Terrorism experts and terroists! Also, the program practically told you how to make bombs, traps, mines, and suicide vests. :yes:

I am much wiser now.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Against Civilians. :rolleyes:

You find ALOT of suicide bombers do use pressure release switches actually. That's why - can't stop it, shoot them they die anyway. That little thing they hold up in their hand if often a pressure release switch.

If they aren't - count yourself lucky. The London Bombers did not - but then, they were not traditional suicide bombers with a bomb vest, switch, and run into a crowded restaurant types. Suicide bombing here, doesn't seem to work that way.

Where? I've never heard of them using pressure release. Its kind of a bad idea - you trip over the cat on the way outside the door and your suicide bombing doesn't go with the bang you want.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    No, I am basing it on that alot of them either use pressure release, or a small plunger type device.

It is as easy to make a pressure release switch as it is any other form of switch. I saw a long program on methods of terrorism. Far to long realy, but interesting none the less. Including useful comment from Terrorism experts and terroists! Also, the program practically told you how to make bombs, traps, mines, and suicide vests. :yes:

I am much wiser now.

Was it on Channel 5? That might explain a lot...

A plunger which you push to detonate a bomb is pretty different from a pressure release switch.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Was it on Channel 5? That might explain a lot...

A plunger which you push to detonate a bomb is pretty different from a pressure release switch.

It's one of a few fairly commonly built switches. It's not the best idea to be a suicide bomber - rather plant a bomb and leave it, then you can do it again!

It was on Sky something or other. Saw it on holiday, I lack sky. God, I wish I had it... there is at least something on one channel at anyone time. Terestrial sucks.