Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dry Skin

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I never normally suffer from dry skin. I currently have it bad on my forehead, the sides of my nose, my eyelids and my cheeks.

I have tryed using Body Shop Vitamin E Mousturiser and have failed using that, it has done nothing at all. I have also tryed using Niviea Visage Oil Free Moisturising Fluid, which didnt work neither.

Anyone give me any suggestions on what else would work as its starting to get quite sore.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Nivea Soft has always been really good when I've had dry skin. E45 might be worth a go too if it's sore.
  • Options
    i recently got excema (sp?) on my eyelids and around that area and i have never had that before. so i borrowed some cream that mate got on prescription i think. it was gone in 2 days.
    so basically, go to the chemist or docs because normal creams aren't really gona work.
  • Options
    lush dream cream is brill!! i have bad exzema and its the only thing that works for me!!
  • Options
    If moisturisers aren't alleviating the problem, you might need to go to the doctors to see if there is anything causing the dry skin and soreness.

I find the Simple Oil Control stuff is very good. Nivea is also very good, so is anything by Neutrogena.
  • Options
    It sounds like it could be a type of dermatitis if it's not reacting to normal moisturisers, you should see your gp or talk to a pharmacist.

Ilora x
  • Options
    It sounds like it could be a type of dermatitis if it's not reacting to normal moisturisers, you should see your gp or talk to a pharmacist.

Ilora x
    I agree. It could be, and is worth ruling out.
  • Options
    you have to be careful what kinds of creams you use on your facial skin. like you can get Hc45 over the counter which is great for dry and irritated patches, but you can't use it on your face. well, you can, but you shouldn't.

if you haven't got time to get to the docs, you could always ask at the chemists.
  • Options
    Try using a cleanser/toner/moisturizer specifically for dry/dehydrated skin rather than ones that just claim to be 'moisturizing'.

Face masks for your skin type would be good as well.

It's an expensive website, as it's beauty salon products, but Natures Way is really gentle and good, me and my friend used them in college and now swear by them - http://www.bellitas.co.uk
  • Options
    I have really bad skin and all I can use is E45 and I use Aqueous cream to wash with and also some dermalogical stuff which is great for bad/dry skin but wee bit expensive but I find that it lasts ages - I buy mine from http://www.beautyflash.co.uk/ and they will send you free samples if you email them.
    I have some Cortisone cream from the Dr but you have to get it off them I don;t like using it though its the weaker strength only available on prescription.
    Also Virgin Vie Guardian Angel is great for dry skin but again expensive but well worth it
  • Options
    creams and moisturisers are well and good but they're more of a cure than a prevention, i'm surprised noone has mentioned it could be down to vitamin deficiency, mainly A and B complex.....what's your diet like? i used to get dry skin quite badly but it's not been half as bad since i started eating properly.....

ETA: if it's a new thing then maybe diet isn't the problem....
  • Options
    i got dry skin on my face from using a scrub too often, so i stopped using it for a while and began using estee lauder face stuff which is really gentle (but expensive)
    however, it might be a skin condition so i'd go to the docs tbh
  • Options
    I never normally suffer from dry skin. I currently have it bad on my forehead, the sides of my nose, my eyelids and my cheeks.

I have tryed using Body Shop Vitamin E Mousturiser and have failed using that, it has done nothing at all. I have also tryed using Niviea Visage Oil Free Moisturising Fluid, which didnt work neither.

Anyone give me any suggestions on what else would work as its starting to get quite sore.

Thanks!
    Try using any type of nut butter, like cocoa butter, shea butter and apply it thinly to the area.
    I actually work in the body shop :grump: and im not going to try to tell you to try this and that, but Vit E cream is not going to work for you as they are for all skin types (the ones in the BS in particular). But yeh, as I say try using the body butters and they are more nourishing.