Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Temp Contract

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have my induction with BHS tomorrow and my mate who works there told me that even thopugh I've been told I'm contracted for 3 and 1/4 hours on Thursday, 4 on Saturday and 4 1/2 on Sunday if I am told to do overtime I can't refuse it and they can change my hours to whenever they like.

Is this true?

Comments

• Options
    What does it say about it in your contract?
  • Options
    You can't be forced to work more than your contracted hours. However it sounds like you probably might be expected to, which could make working there akward if it happens a lot.
  • Options
    Well I am happy to say that I haven't been asked to do any overtime *touch wood* although I have put my name down for some on Wednesday since it's a goldcard special thingummydoodah night. I'm in Home and Lighting so hopefully it won't be too busy. Shame we only get normal pay for overtime though :( and that's for the permanent staff too :o
  • Options
    BHS are shit to work for.

I had to work at the stupid card night too. No one briefed me for the store card or anything. That was the Sauchiehall Store, like...5 years ago.
  • Options
    You don't have to do any hours above your contracted hours, although they can change when your hours are, as contracts don't specify working shift patterns.

You won't get overtime rates of pay unless you work over 40 hours in a week.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    You won't get overtime rates of pay unless you work over 40 hours in a week.

I work 37 hours a week and I get double time if I work overtime. Doing some tonight, matter of fact. :D
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    I work 37 hours a week and I get double time if I work overtime. Doing some tonight, matter of fact. :D
    ...or thereabouts:p

You don't get OT unless you work over the full working week.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    ...or thereabouts:p

You don't get OT unless you work over the full working week.

True dat, holmes. :D
  • Options
    :(

PS. everyone in Glasgow come and visit me! Thursday, Saturday and Sunday!
  • Options
    What store?
  • Options
    I had a similar experience temping at Next on Oxford Street.

They were a really shit employer. They made us work really long hours without a break and would often timetable you the late shit one day and the really early the next so you would only have 6 hours between shifts so by the time you got home it was only 4 hours before you had to leave to go to work again.

One day I was ill so I went to the doctor who gave me a doctor's note and then I phoned in sick but the manager just said "well we need you to come in anyway, you're timetabled to work today" and thought she knew better than my doctor as to whether or not I needed the day off work.

Then towards the end of my contract they didn't need me as much as the January sales were a bit of flop last year and the number of staff hours a manager was entitled to was directed related to their sales performance they but my timetable down to zero hours a week. They are allowed to do that if it says in the small print hours subject to change or words to that effect. When I complained I was offered the ocassional stupid hours shift.

They were the worst and horriblest employer ever with appauling training, appauling management, badly run human resources and they were extremely abusive to their staff.
  • Options
    Have just realised they haven't actually fucked your hours up.... yet! Sorry :)
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    TThey made us work really long hours without a break

That's illegal.

A break every four hours is a mandatory provision.
    would often timetable you the late shit one day and the really early the next so you would only have 6 hours between shifts so by the time you got home it was only 4 hours before you had to leave to go to work again.

That, too, is illegal. You must have a minimum of eleven hours rest between shifts.

It's a real shame companies can get away with breaking the law because people don't know what it is.

I would suggest talking to your CAB about making a complaint against the company.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

That, too, is illegal. You must have a minimum of eleven hours rest between shifts.

is that for any type of work or just shops? because my sister's a receptionist in a hotel and sometimes she doesnt finish work until 11.30pm and then she's in work again at 7am. which isn't 11hours..
  • Options
    That is for any type of work:

Your rights to rest breaks.
    ACAS wrote:
    A worker is entitled to an uninterrupted rest period of 11 hours between each working day and one uninterrupted weekly rest period of not less than 24 hours in each 7 day period.
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    BHS are shit to work for.

Amen.

However, to answer the original post, they won't force you to do extra hours (though it is "expected" - interpret that how you will) and the hours you're contracted to do should be on the days they've told you.

Don't even think about trying to get one of you contracted shifts off, you haven't a hope in hell (especially if your manager is anything like the ones at the Newcastle store used to be; 'power mad' doesn't even begin to cover it).
  • Options
    Eek. I need next Thrusday off to do the retreat. Oh well. And Becky, Sauchiehall Street in the Home department.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    Eek. I need next Thrusday off to do the retreat. Oh well. And Becky, Sauchiehall Street in the Home department.

You might be alright since it's not too close to Christmas yet. Oh yeah, and your manager might not be a complete arsehole (as mine was).

They do have these things they called "Red Line Weeks" though, which you may or may not have been told about. No one at all is allowed holidays or days off during these weeks, as service to BHS is more important than anything ;) However, if it's a Temp Contract this probably doesn't apply...since they have you by the bollocks until January anyway.

To add something positive (ha ha), it's easy to make good friends when working there...all bond over hatred of the managment and the Gold Card :p
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:

Aww, I worked there too. Haha, I worked in the men's bit, which is now ladies undies next to the Bath Street Exit.

It's such a bitch going through the Renfield Street Entrance to get in. :|

Was it still the 9-5 induction and cheesy video of a woman stealing something and the voice over dude all "Hmm, what's she doing wrong here?"

Hah.
  • Options
    Nope. It was a 10 - 2 thing with a store tour (still can't remember where the fire exits are :|) and a talk from the admin woman and the mens/kids dept manager who used flip charts for the health and safety thing. She's called Hellen. Since that's my mum's name I thought they had mis-spelt her name but no, 2 l's it is.

I usually just walk right round from the bus stop and go in the S'hall St door. I can find my way round easier like that. I hate having to go out the takeaway doors at night though, walk right round in the pissing rain to the bus stop outside Watt Brothers :|
  • Options
    Haha, I hated going down to the stockroom, everyone told me it was haunted, and I'd just turned 16 and I was sooo skurred :(
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    Haha, I hated going down to the stockroom, everyone told me it was haunted, and I'd just turned 16 and I was sooo skurred :(
    LMFAO! I hate it too. I can't find anything and all I can hear is a mad generator and the stockroom workers scurrying about without being seen. Freaks me out.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    LMFAO! I hate it too. I can't find anything and all I can hear is a mad generator and the stockroom workers scurrying about without being seen. Freaks me out.

I know, it was always so quiet in the stockroom. Always was on the lookout for a ghost. Haha.
  • Options
    Poor becky :(:p