Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Parachuting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone ever been on a parachute jump or know someone who has? I'm hoping to do one for charity (a tandem one) but was wondering if any of you could tell me a bit more about it.

Comments

• Options
    You get a brief trip in a small plane, jump out and fall down to earth slowly. Easy peasy when you're strapped to an expert ;)
  • Options
    No no fuck no. Hate heights, am happy on the ground :).

I like flying in planes though, but you woulden't catch me jumping out from one, ever. :D
  • Options
    Sky Diving is one of my life ambitions, along with bungie jumping etc :D
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    Sky Diving is one of my life ambitions, along with bungie jumping etc :D

and getting a job, well i suppose i'll give you credit for that one :yum:
  • Options
    sky diving is awsome, even tandem jumps although getting to jump on your own is soo much better!
  • Options
    betsy wrote:
    Has anyone ever been on a parachute jump or know someone who has? I'm hoping to do one for charity (a tandem one) but was wondering if any of you could tell me a bit more about it.

I did one a couple of years ago. You can read about it here

I was and still am terrified of heights but I'm glad I did it. If you do do a tandem jump ask the instructor if he can do twists and turns whilst under canopy. Imagine the best rollercoaster you've been on and multiple it by a million.

:D
  • Options
    A few friends have been parachuting, on static line jumps (where you jump on your own, and the chute has a line attached to the plane so it automaticly opens up). And some of them went back to do it again a few months later too. :)
    They said it was a hell of a rush, even though they weren't exactly freefalling (as the chute opens up very quickly). A couple of them said they would have really liked to have continued, but the nearest jump centre was too far away to make it an easy thing to do.
  • Options
    Freefall is something to experience at least once I think. Apart from the wind in your mouth and the rush of wind in your ears it doesn't really feel like your falling. A must for everyone. :)
  • Options
    Of course, some people find it addictive. Some people do loony things like BASE jumping, and then there's this guy........
    http://www.bird-man.com/?n=windtunnel&nose=6 :eek:
    What gets me is that he stores the jet fuel in hot water bottles tucked into his jump suit! Loooooooony!!! :eek2:
  • Options
    <Sam><Sam> Deactivated Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    Speaking of parachuting... you can now do a tandem skydive at an airfield near you and raise money for TheSite.org - if you're interested have a look here

:thumb:
  • Options
    <Sam> wrote:
    Speaking of parachuting... you can now do a tandem skydive at an airfield near you and raise money for TheSite.org - if you're interested have a look here

:thumb:

:chin: :chin: :chin:

I think everyone should at least consider this

:yes: :yes:
  • Options
    In fact we could have thesite.org parachute meets :)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    In fact we could have thesite.org parachute meets :)
    :lol:

Lets do it!