Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

should the fee-fixing schools give refunds

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
to the parents for whom they rigged up a cartel

i say no let the parents learn their lesson :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Its apparently not as simple as that, the law used to be that schools could talk to each other about anything, it wasnt an issue.

The law was changed and no schools were informed, apparently even the Education Department lawyers didnt know.

Therefore when they talked about price increases they thought they were doing so totally legally.

Of course the ethics of the price increase is another matter altogether.
  • Options
    What's going to change? Most private schools put their fees on their websites these days or would certainly give them to prospective parents on the phone or at open days.

They have only technically broken the law, but what is the point of the investigation? I agree with them that it was a "scandalous" waste of public money.
  • Options
    Blair and his wacky cultists want to abolish non-state schools.

Now there are stories about price fixing, illegality and expect to see more coming any day now. Mistreatment of kids at some schools, maybe a BBC "documentary" about public schools illtreating the famous and some stories about drugs in them and their lack of discipline/too much discipline as the case allows.

The dance goes like this -

What do I want?

To abolish "public" schools.

How do I do that?

Get political support for my idea.

But there is none. How do I create it?

Media, arbitary law change minor legislation, a few mentions in speeches yadda yadda. Set the agenda, set the frame and then win the argument or use the usual political processes of blackmail, force and fraud to win the vote.

Great, now I can do what I always wanted to. Again. My word, this is addictive, let's see what else I can do with it. Let's see, I've already invaded a country illegally, dropped habeas corpus for minor offences for teenagers, yadda yadda, so what's left for me to grasp at? Who's still got some frredom from me?

Ahh the babies! How dare they have independent thought!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/11/09/nbaby09.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/11/09/ixnewstop.html

This is how UK "democracy" works. Always has done. Blair is just pointlessly open about it and has had the luxury of a lickspittle parliament up til now.