Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

teaching abroad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
over the summer i really want to do something like teach english abroad or work at kids camps.. has anyone done this before? who did you do it with? are there any good websites around? ive found a few but most seem to be asking you to pay loads just to do it...

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Kat_B wrote:
    over the summer i really want to do something like teach english abroad or work at kids camps.. has anyone done this before? who did you do it with? are there any good websites around? ive found a few but most seem to be asking you to pay loads just to do it...

That are lots of websites around, like Camp America etc. However, yes, the downside to such a scheme is that they ask you to pay lots of money to participate.
  • Options
    Do you need a teaching qualification to do this kind of thing?
  • Options
    Secondsophie - not always, a lot of places will take experience, unqualified teachers on. Others will take unexperienced, unqualified people on, but I'm pretty sure only on a support staff level.

Camp America, as littlemissy said, is an option. Despite the costs etc, I've only heard fantastic things from the people I know who have participated.

Another option I know of (one of many) is International Projects. My other half worked for them two summers ago as a teacher, although he does have both a CELTA certificate and confidence in a second language. He was close to Frankfurt, but I know they have camps in France and Spain too. There seemed to be all manner of postions - activity leaders, teachers, assistants etc. He absolutely loved it, so that (and other similar projects you might find) would be a great bet.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi there,

I worked for CCUSA when I was a student which is a company similar to Camp America - I visited open days for both organisations and went to the one which could offer me a camp I thought would be more suited to my interests.

Check out www.ccusa.com there are some quite cool blogs on there written by people while at camp.

Hope you find what you're looking for :)