Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tumble drying

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok I'm about to brave the laundrette at my halls for the second time :shocking: all ive done previous is an underwear wash. im terrible. now we have drying racks but the tumble dryer would be easier, however we never had one at home so im clueless. what can and can't u tumble dry? thanks you.

Comments

• Options
    i tumble dry my bed stuff and thats it. everything else just seems to shrink.
  • Options
    what about towels?
  • Options
    Towels will be completely fine, infact they will come out softer in the tumble dryer than on the line.

Basically you can shove most sturdy things in, jeans are normally alright, as are sheets, towels, most t-shirts etc.

Dont put in your delicate things, knickers and the like.

And do not put it on really hot either, a 'warm' setting will be just fine, 'hot' will bugger a lot more things than 'warm'.
  • Options
    oh yes, towels.

my philosophy is : if it matters if it gets shrunk, then DON'T tumble dry it.

there should be a label with symbolly type things which tells you if you can tumble something or not on the clothes - but i can never remember what it looks like.

our uni tumbles only do "scorching hot" and cost a pound a time.
  • Options
    our uni tumbles only do "scorching hot" and cost a pound a time.

Then definately only do towels and sheets then.
  • Options
    I tumble dry everything, except things which have plastic things on them.
  • Options
    Cotton items of clothing are liable to shrink if you tumble-dry for too long or on too high a setting, and it does take some experience to know how long is too long.

As has been said, don't tumb;le dry if it matters if it gets shrunk. Towels and bedding will be fine, as would a towelling dressing gown.
  • Options
    Thank you! I feel less scared now. Will prolly jus do towels and bedding first check the settings then do jeans on a low one :D we really need a housing and everyday stuff forum
  • Options
    Jeans can shrink a bit in tumble dryers too, mine always do anyway.
  • Options
    OK the towels are washing...lol.. the tumble dryers have 3 settings colours and whites, something about a press and delicates. ill jus go with whites and colours as hot and delicates as warm yeh?
  • Options
    at my uni last year i put everything in the tumble dryer and used the delicate setting.. was always fine!

ETA- actually i didnt put jeans in, but everything else i did :yes:
  • Options
    Me too. And it usually comes out alright.
  • Options
    At my Uni the tumble dryers just had whites and colours setting. I normally shoved just about anything in there and it was fine. But don't put wool or obviously, silk in there otherwise it will fuck them up royally.
  • Options
    look on the care labels.

s_td_norm.jpg = go for it

s_td_nor_l.jpg = you can, but only on low heat

s_td_donot.jpg = NO NO NO NO

we don't have a dryer now, but when we did, i used to dry undies (cotton/synth only - don't put your best lace or silk in there!), socks, t-shirts, towels and bedding. i only used a medium setting, but nothing shrank.
  • Options
    ah ty you're a star I couldn't work out what the symbols meant lol. I seem to have run out of money to do more but have just tumble dried towels but am bookmark this page for future reference lol.
  • Options
    I find my jeans do shrink a bit, but then lossen up after you've been wearing them so no permant damage. Don't put your bra's in though as the wires have an unfortunate habbit of popping out.