Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Worry

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I read a post by morrocan roll in another thread and didn't want to hijack that...
problem with a lot of you modern people is that you see something like worrying as a negative thing.
it is a natural precursor to action.
worrying can be one of the most powerful and positive mechanisms you have.

I worry a fair bit, about life in gerenal, myself and my realtionships. I've generally thought worrying to not be a very good thing. My girlfriend hates my worrying and i'm often made to feel bad for it (which of course leads me to worry that I can't tell her my worries!!).

Do you think that worrying isn't such a bad thing afterall? Should worries be repressed? What if they are worries about things that are unlikely to happen? What if the worries effect other people (like worrying your partner might cheat on you)?

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Worry can be good, just gotta be in balance... not to much?

Like anything, the right amount is good.
  • Options
    Learn to not worry about the things you can't influence
  • Options
    worry anger rage fear are all valid feelings/experiences.
    they are part of our life toolboxes.
    today many people seem to only see smiling and being happy as positive aspects of life.
    the reality is ...life is full of worry pain and struggle ...always has been that way. how we deal with that worry pain and struggle effects how much joy love and happiness we experience along the way.
    Joy and happiness and laughter are wonderful but not the 24hr norm ...not once your all growed up anyway.
    worry is a perfectly normal part of life and even a positive part of life ...it's how we dealwith things.
    if no one had ever worried about the environment ...
    if no one ever worried about their exam results ...
    if no one ever worried about their next pay check and how they are going to balance the books ...am i explaining this ok?

i firmly believe that a lot of depression in young people is down to the fact that we are bombarded with images of beauty ...owning lots ...laughing lots ...isn't that how all the sucsessful people live? ...but reality isn't like that ...worry is about planning ...about responsibility ... but our modern world seems to be denying people the truth and reality about self ...about many of our emotions and states of mind.
    oh if he's worrying it's bad. thats bollox.

of course ...there are people who worry over to much ...over the wrong things ...just like there are people who drink to much.

true happiness comes when you learn to use all the tools you have in your toolbox ...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I tend to worry too much sometimes... Like, if someone said "I'll be back in 5 minutes" and 10 minutes later they haven't returned, I'll be worried that something happened to them.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    I tend to worry too much sometimes... Like, if someone said "I'll be back in 5 minutes" and 10 minutes later they haven't returned, I'll be worried that something happened to them.
    worry can come from caring ...it can also come from insecurity.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    If only I could stop worrying.
    i'd guess J that most of your worrying is about things you have and will never have ...any control or influence over.
    insecurity confusion and even fear.
    plus ...i reckon theres a bit of unreality in there as well.
    example ...the matrix and numbers.
    these things are passing thoughts and ideas to pla7y with for most people ...who then move on to more real things.
    you seem to get stuck in a loop somewhere.
    only guessing of course.
  • Options
    I think the problem with J is that he thinks we're some gruesome result of a cataclismic collision of dimensions or some random shit like that. Just accept what is, it's a learning curve and maybe thats what it's all about, one big learning curve then it all disapears, sounds cool...pity people die young or in horrible accidents or crimes.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I am one of these people who worries too much, I actually worry because I worry too much :|
  • Options
    What is there to worry about though...is there any pressure on anyone to do anything?
  • Options
    I know I worry an awful lot but like others have said worry can also be a positive emotion. It helps you to rationalise things more in your head before commiting yourself to them and that way you are able to see many different scenarios and chose the one that will work best for you.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    What is there to worry about though
    there are people who don't worry ...those people to me appear very shallow and uncaring.
  • Options
    there are people who don't worry ...those people to me appear very shallow and uncaring.

Well everyone worries at some point of their lives and as you've said it's all part and parcel of life...however, some people get themselves in a big worry over the slightest of things....it's the mind that makes them worry, not their basic instincts.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    turlough wrote:
    What is there to worry about though...is there any pressure on anyone to do anything?

I worry about the silliest little things though. For example, catching the train on time, burning the dinner and even putting the bin out.

I know I have a problem but it's just how I am.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    it's the mind that makes them worry, not their basic instincts.
    are you sure about that?
  • Options
    I worry about the silliest little things though. For example, catching the train on time, burning the dinner and even putting the bin out.

Ah well...some people are like that, I know my mum is anyway.
  • Options
    are you sure about that?

Yes, why do you think otherwise, if so, please tell me.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

Do you still live with parents?
  • Options
    I think worrying is a sign you have a conscience and a conscience is a good thing, right?

But worring can be disfunctional... We need to distinguish between what we can and cannot change.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Yes, why do you think otherwise, if so, please tell me.
    i think it's the mind that does the worrying ...not cause it.
    the heart also does the worrying.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit

I'm the same way. I think I have my mum to blame for that, at least partly. She was (and is) trying to turn me into some "Detective Adrian Monk" person, and she didn't fail entirely...