Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

In House Networking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay dudes, you have the answers.

I have 2 PCs in my house, having just bought my little chav his own. I'd like to give him internet access. We have broadband so I cannot split the line.

1. What can I do?
2. How can I still filter what he can view?

NB He's Windows98, I'm on XP.

Comments

• Options
    You can either:

Get a crossover cable (from maplins or pcworld, or indeed online) and link the 2 PC's with this cable. Then, on your PC go to the home networking wizard and set it to "This computer connects directly to the internet, other computers on my network connect through this PC" Then You should have a working gateway, bear in mind this requires you having to leave your computer switched on and connected when he wants to use the internet on his PC.

or...

Get a router, They're about 40 quid, or up to 80 quid in PC world. You connect the router to your broadband connection, and connect the 2 PC's to the router. Then you leave the router on & both computers can access the internet seamlessly.

The first is cheaper and easier to setup, but a little inconvenient if you weren't planning on leaving your PC switched on.
  • Options
    I'd get a router, probably a wireless one. Then get a wireless network card for your PCs.

Filtering is a bit hit-or-miss, you can install various firewalls and password-protect them to limit access, but if he has a full admin account on his computer he can just disable them.

Any solution that totally limits what he can and cannot do is likely to require a third machine routing traffic and acting as a firewall for you.
  • Options
    Get something like this

mr814v3.jpg

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/MR814.php#guard

you can set filtering controls on the router
  • Options
    get a router, if you have a bt based broadband that uses phon line not cable, get an ADSL router from amazon

then all you do is have a type of network card for either wired or wireless, get the cable (rj45) if you have wired from ebuyer.com or wireless cards/dongles

the routers ip is normally 192.168.x.1 read the manual to find out

then for the devices that connects to the router, right click, go to properties, then tcp/ip properties and type 192.168.x.y with x being same as one in router, and y being 2-255, and the subnet as 255.255.255.0 and the gateway being the ip of the router

then log into the router, by typing its ip in the internet explorer and putting your isp login information and type of adsl etc etc :)

if you have telewestor anything reply and i can give you the slightly different equipment/instructions to use
  • Options

then for the devices that connects to the router, right click, go to properties, then tcp/ip properties and type 192.168.x.y with x being same as one in router, and y being 2-255, and the subnet as 255.255.255.0 and the gateway being the ip of the router

or alternatively just turn on DHCP and let the router take care of it
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    or alternatively just turn on DHCP and let the router take care of it

i like controlllllllllllll

also enables me to use virtual servers on the router which makes certain p2p software easier to use