Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Running debate over pc software.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically, I want to buy The Sims 2 for our family Mac, but my step-dad says no-way, it'll take up too much space (even though hes got about a trillion music and photoshop thingys on here he doesn't use). He says that if I got it, I'd have to either save it to a disc, and insert that everytime I played, or uninstall and reinstall it everytime. :impissed: I've told him I can't do that - the game has to be saved to the hard-drive in order to work. Am I right?

Comments

• Options
    sims2 does take a monster amount of space (at least on the PC, and I dout the mac would be any different).

Perhaps you could get a USB hard drive and install onto that - should be around 60 quid
  • Options
    Yes, you are right.
  • Options
    Depends how much hard disk space there is free to be honest.
  • Options
    Heh, I love how older people (particularly parents) have the oddest idiosyncrasies when it comes to computers.

The more practical solution would be to put photos and music on the USB external hard drive. It becomes portable, if the computer goes down for whatever reason, those precious files are not harmed and can be retrieved easily from another computer.
  • Options
    Actually I'm 22 for another 5 months more or less. How am I like a 30 year old?
  • Options
    Keep on subject!

Please guys keep to the subject of the sims 2 and how much space it takes not the poor guys age!

p.s 23 or even 30 is not that old!!!

Adam (Mod)
  • Options
    AHA! I've got it. Apparently The Sims 2 is also available for all 3 major consoles: Xbox, PS2, GameCube. Do you own any of those, or can get one? Buy a used system for cheap, and the Sims2 is not quite out yet for the consoles I don't think. So get the console and save up more money and you'll be set by the time it does get released for consoles.
  • Options
    2.8Gig it takes for the install plus 300Meg + for saved games. Hardly a lot in the days of 200G + hard drives.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    2.8Gig it takes for the install plus 300Meg + for saved games. Hardly a lot in the days of 200G + hard drives.
    You youngsters with your oversized drives.... :p

da0: <IBM DPES-31080 S31Q> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
    da0: 1034MB
    da3: <SEAGATE ST5660N 0592> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
    da3: 520MB
  • Options
    umm.... i don't really understand tech talk... £60 for a usb drive would be pretty pricey... how much memory would it hold?
    as for hard-drive space already... we have an eMac with Mac OS X, and 256 MB of memory left. :/

I've got an old ps2 so i'll look into what its like on that. its a shame my old sim games only work on windows :impissed:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    You youngsters with your oversized drives.... :p

da0: <IBM DPES-31080 S31Q> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
    da0: 1034MB
    da3: <SEAGATE ST5660N 0592> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
    da3: 520MB

Ooh. lol. :p

I have an 80 and 20 gig, both over half full... how do you live with that?!

I need bigger drives. I am such a pirate whore.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    teh_gerbil wrote:
    I am such a pirate whore.
    Damn it! I told you to tell nobody!
  • Options
    i have 2 full 160gig hard drives

a 75% full 80 gig hard drive, which is the one with windows on

and external 120gig which is about 40% full
    and i just burnt about 40gig of dvd+r discs
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    Damn it! I told you to tell nobody!
    Sorry. ;(

MrG... Jesus.. how do you use up that kindof space?! Do you uninstall nothing? I wish I could. :p
  • Options
    erm theres quite a few things i uninstall, if i know i have the instal discs lying about

i make sure i have a programme fully installed, so i dont need discs, cause its pretty annoying asking to insert a disc when both optical drives are in use through cd/dvd burning

a lot of it is music and downloaded tv