Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What do you think?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it ok for teachers to stay in touch with their pupils (as friends) after they have finished teaching them?

Comments

• Options
    Yea course. Alot of our rugger buggers keep in touch with the male teachers that would come out n celebrate with them after matched etc. I think its fine. We've also got my former RE teacher going out with a 18 year old ex pupil like but, hey... :yeees:
  • Options
    Depends to the extent of which you mean and also the ages I would say.

Like, an old teacher from my school keeps in touch via email to some people..I don't see anything wrong with it. (female teacher, female pupils btw).

What's the situation you are in?
  • Options
    well i left school this year but i told this teacher a lot of stuff about my home life etc. He helped me a lot and I felt he really cared for my welfare and stuff. I emailed him a couple of times just about Unis but I feel like I'm just clinging on to him because he helped me so much and I'm worried about annoying him but at the same time I feel he might just be trying to give me space... I never actually said "lets keep in touch" or anything but I wished I had now. I just didnt want to seem too forward. Hope that makes sense
  • Options
    I don't see any problem with you sending him the odd email, unless of course he has actually said to you "don't email me".

Don't worry about it too much, it's obvious that if he has helped you in the past you would want to keep in touch or something.
  • Options
    umm yeah i know another teach like that sometimes when its someone older confiding in someone younger it can be strange, but it was the other way round with this man. i hope i didnt make him feel weird
  • Options
    My english teacher just to come in to my work and see me once i finshed but then he got the sack from the school where he worked for sleeping with an yr 11 so now i think he may of been after something!!
  • Options
    I dont think theres anything wrong with it, I wisgh I had kept in touch with a couple of my teachers when I left.
  • Options
    My english teacher just to come in to my work and see me once i finshed but then he got the sack from the school where he worked for sleeping with an yr 11 so now i think he may of been after something!!

Ummm. I definately just think that my teacher would be a friend
  • Options
    Course it's fine to stay in touch with teachers. I'm still in touch with a fair few of mine and thats 5 years since I left. My sis in law is a teacher and a couple of her closest friends are ex pupils.
  • Options
    I would hope its okay, I consider one of my teachers one of my best friends. He not all about the rules and he talks freely about how it really is. Not to mention I'm graduating this year so i hope we keep in touch, I can talk to him about anything
  • Options
    I think so-I dont see anything wrong with that
  • Options
    As a friend, or more than that?
  • Options
    If you're an ex pupil then there's nothing wrong.

If you had met any other way (ie. him not being a teacher at your old school) then you probably wouldn't think twice.