Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mathematicians

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know this should be in student but i need a quick fix. So can someone brainy please differentiate:

4lnx-x=0

I know i should be able to do it, but my brain has gone to sleep and i need it for my maths coursework. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    I could, but I won't.

Unless you're going to put me in the footnotes of your maths coursework, then you are asking someone to plagiarise for you. No.

Oh, and if you "know this should be in student", then why the heck isn't it? Do the rules not apply to you or something?
  • Options
    It's all Greek to me.
  • Options
    Godders wrote:
    I know this should be in student but i need a quick fix. So can someone brainy please differentiate:

4lnx-x=0

I know i should be able to do it, but my brain has gone to sleep and i need it for my maths coursework. Thanks in advance.

This is easy and there are three ways of doing it, however, I can't really remember any of them...

*Totally agrees with kermit*
  • Options
    if you can do it, try it in the morning when you might not be so tired. :)
  • Options
    You could use an abacus.
  • Options
    Hints:

Treat x and 4lnX as 2 separate problems
    LnX differentiation is in the formulae booklet
  • Options
    aww come on cut him a bit of slack

But is it just me or does it sound like he wants to do his work for him?
  • Options
    I have no idea. I could give it to you in Russian but that's about as much help as I can be. Mrs. Thunderstruck is a mathmatician, I'll ask her. Then you can pay me for the answer.
  • Options
    solid_L wrote:
    Hints:

Treat x and 4lnX as 2 separate problems
    LnX differentiation is in the formulae booklet

Thanks. Iv done it now. Iv been doing maths coursework all day and im very tired and I am useless at logs anyway.
  • Options
    Logs are a bitch, differentiation and intergration are bitches, when you combine them you have a dooblé bitch
  • Options
    I only liked GCSE maths, and did well at it. A-Level maths was *SO* pointless. Yes, like i'm going to want to know the speed/velocity of a ball as i throw it in a non-linear curve across the park for my dog :chin: Never appealed to me one bit, but have the upmost respect for people who can actually do all this stuff o_O
  • Options
    A-level simple mechanics is the pre-cursor to dynamics and stuff. If you jump straight to the hard stuff, you'll never get it.