Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Freeware CD to WMA Converters

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are there any free converters that will allow me to put in an original Audio CD and convert it to WMA Version 9.1 with a two pass encoding?

I got my sister an MP3 / WMA player for her birthday but want something really simple for her to use.

It`s only a small player with 128MB of RAM but I`ve found WMA 9 files encoded in two passes at 96 kb/s sounds just as good MP3`s at 128 kb/s, so You can get quite a few extra songs with the WMA format.

But so far I`ve been using Audio Grabber to convert them to WAV and get the track names automatically off the net and then DBPowerAMP to convert them to WMA 9 but that`s only a 30 day trial and too complicated for her to do.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/WMA_Encoder/

http://www.mymusictools.com/download/wma-decoder-encoder/

Oh, did you know Windows Media Player can rip and encode CDs into WMA? I'm looking at the help file for WMP 9.0 and it says:
    To copy tracks from an audio CD
    1. Insert your CD into the CD-ROM drive.

2. Click Copy from CD.

All tracks are selected to be copied if you have not previously copied them from the CD.

3. If there are any tracks that you do not want to copy (rip), clear the check box next to them.

You can select the check box at the top of the list to clear or select the check boxes next to all tracks.

4. Click Copy.

5. The first time you click Copy, a message appears asking if you want to copy protect your music. Click one of the following options:

Copy protect your music
    Do not copy protect your music

6. Read the copyright acknowledgement.

7. Select the copyright acknowledgement check box, and then click Next.

8. Click one of the following options, and then click Finish:

To select a different format and audio quality, click Change my current format settings.

To copy tracks using the current format and audio quality, click Keep my current format settings.

9. If you clicked the Change my current format settings option in the previous step, the Copy Music tab is displayed. Select a different format and specify an audio quality using the slider, and then click OK.

10. Optionally, you can select the Eject CD when copying is completed check box to stop playback and eject the CD when copying is completed.

Notes

The selected tracks are copied to your My Music folder by default and are listed in Media Library. The My Music folder contains subfolders, labeled with the name of the artist or group, or labeled Various Artists, if more than one artist is on the album. You can change the folder where your music files are stored.

The Player adds volume leveling values to tracks when you copy them.

You can also copy (rip) tracks from a CD by pointing to Copy on the File menu, pointing to Copy from Audio CD, and then clicking the CD-ROM drive if you have more than one attached to your computer. Select the tracks that you want to copy, and then click Copy.