Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

School intervention

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
One of the guys in my year is 17 and is going out with an eleven/twelve-year-old girl. I don't see the appeal and he's had the piss taken out of him for quite a while now, but it's not bothered him really because he likes her that much.

However, this week, teachers have been "having words" with him and this came to a head when the girl was told she is no longer allowed to see him in school. Apparently, he's got no interest in having sex with her, though you could often see them getting off around school.

I think it's pretty rank myself but it's their choice, isn't it? Is it right for the school to intervene as they have? There's no legal issue, it's simply moral, and even then, is it not for them to decide?

Comments

• Options
    Yea at least people know about it and there nt hinding it always helps!
  • Options
    i'd say it's none of their business, but if they're carrying on like a horny pair of rabbits around the school then it probably is.
  • Options
    Ultimately it's their decision. The school has no right to intervine really...
  • Options
    Unless they have proof that there is nothing sexual between them then I would just see it as their obligation. If he likes her that much he can wait a few years.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Unless they have proof that there is nothing sexual between them then I would just see it as their obligation.

How can they have proof of that? :confused:
  • Options
    The school has a duty of care for both pupils, but especially in this case the 11-year-old.

You can argue his case, but at the end of the day the school must be on the look out for any signs of child abuse and that includes sexual abuse perpetrated by fellow pupils.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    How can they have proof of that? :confused:

exactly ;) Unless theres, god forbid, a witness to some sexual acts all you have is he said she said and assumptions.
  • Options
    I think what they've done is perfectly fair, to be quite honest. IT's part of their duty, and also nobody wants to see preteens necking.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I think what they've done is perfectly fair, to be quite honest. IT's part of their duty, and also nobody wants to see preteens necking.

I fully agree with Kermit in this thread.
  • Options
    I remember at my school my mate got a detention for holding hands with his girlfriend when seen by the headmaster. My school didn't like affection in any sort towards boyfriends/girlfriends, maybe this school is the same?
  • Options
    I think it's pretty ridiculous. Personally I think a 12year old going out with a 17 year old is pretty shocking, but the school shouldn't react as it has done. They can't stop two people dating eachother, it's beyond their control and none of their business who goes out with who and who is friends with who etc. Yeah, school is for learning and people shouldn't be overly affectionate towards one another (e.g. in the corridors, on school premises etc) but still, they can't tell them to end it or anything.
  • Options
    You go to school to learn, not snog your girl/boyfriend.
  • Options
    if i read your post right, then there not telling them to end it are they? there just telling them not to get off with each other in school and as its a learning environment then shurly thats fair enough.

if they let other people get off with each other left right and center then maybe they can complain about them being predudice but if thats not the case then i dont think its unfair.

in my 1st year one of my friends was going out with a lad out of final year. they rang her parents and told them that she was having sex but they only knew because one of the teachers had had her in their office saying that if she needed the school nurse for anything then just to let them know and nothing would come of it. she did and they rang her parents. her own fault for telling them but mean all the same
  • Options
    I think though that the school probably does have a right and a duty to intervene in a situation like this. I know that people say age gaps dont really matter and in most circumstances I have to agree but the younger you are (ie under 16) the more difficult it will be to have any sort of relationship with someone. They will probably be quite a big generation divide between the two of them - what I mean is that they both will have differing views on the relationship. It would be very hard to prove as well that the boy wouldn't want to take this relationship further and the assumption in pretty much any similiar case would be that he would. The school is only trying to protect this girl (and probably itself) of any such occurence. Although of course, as you mentioned, the school only has power to stop them seeing each other at school. If this guy truly loves this girl and doesnt just want her for sex he should be happy to pursue the relationship outside school hours.
  • Options
    Any 17 year old who finds pre-pubescent girls physically attractive should be watched very closely IMHO.
  • Options
    I thought the guy would have been around 15 or something, not 17 :|

I didn't think the school could have the authority to do that though. It is pretty disgusting.

I got asked to get off with a girl in a club at the weekend. I asked her if it wasn;t past her bedtime. She was about 13! It was an unders club though so I should have expected as much.
  • Options
    Do you know if the girl's parents are involved in all of this?
  • Options
    it's inapropriate for them to be snogging all over the school and it is a big age gap at that age...and to be fair, he probably is going to say he's not interested in sex with her...coz he's certainly not going to go round saying he wants to have sex with a pre-teen is he? he's 17 and has a girlfriend, sooner or later sex is going to be an issue with this girl. The school may even be acting at the parents request, who knows?
  • Options
    If i had a daughter and she was 11/12 seeing a 17 year old. I'd be after him with a shot gun.
  • Options
    I remember at my school my mate got a detention for holding hands with his girlfriend when seen by the headmaster. My school didn't like affection in any sort towards boyfriends/girlfriends, maybe this school is the same?

A mate of mine got into trouble for holding hands with his gf too.
    I think most schools disallow it. I never saw the point then but I do now.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    i'd say it's none of their business, but if they're carrying on like a horny pair of rabbits around the school then it probably is.
    Nice argument...

"The pavement is to walk on, not stand by with your friends and chat."
    "The sea is to swim in, not pick up mud from the bottom and throw it to others."

In case you're wondering what my point is: Sure, certain places are intended for certain purposes. But where does it say that nothing else can be done there?
  • Options
    I guess another factor, or the way I see it, is that, unfortunately, morality and all things like that that the parents used to teach their kids (like sex ed.) and stuff like that are being passed onto the school.

Parents are blaming the schools for their brats getting knocked up and for things like this happening because it's a lot easier to blame the schools than themselves even though they are the people who should really be teaching this kind of shit.

I digress a little but fully support the school in what they did. However, I personally think it's the parents' sphere and not the schools but hey ho, I've been clear on that point.

Sitcks and stones and all that but at no point did he not look at himself and think 'what the fuck am I doing?'
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Nice argument...

"The pavement is to walk on, not stand by with your friends and chat."
    "The sea is to swim in, not pick up mud from the bottom and throw it to others."

In case you're wondering what my point is: Sure, certain places are intended for certain purposes. But where does it say that nothing else can be done there?

The pavement regulator (to use your metaphor) is within their rights to tell you to move on and stop standing and chatting though, surely?
  • Options
    twonk1 wrote:
    If i had a daughter and she was 11/12 seeing a 17 year old. I'd be after him with a shot gun.

and you'd probably expect their school to tell you about the situation and at least make sure nothing was happening in school.
  • Options
    I agree....the school has a responsibility to protect it's students. I don't know what the age of consent is where the poster is from but 17 in the U.S.(most states) is considered an adult. Age 11 is definitely under the age of consent. If the school knows what goes on and do nothing about it and the girl gets pregnant or abused in some proovable way the school becomes a partner in the problem.

Kentish wrote:
    The school has a duty of care for both pupils, but especially in this case the 11-year-old.

You can argue his case, but at the end of the day the school must be on the look out for any signs of child abuse and that includes sexual abuse perpetrated by fellow pupils.
  • Options
    The Doc wrote:
    Is it right for the school to intervene as they have? There's no legal issue, it's simply moral, and even then, is it not for them to decide?
    my school did the same thing... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

Exactly. Imagine the scenerio in which the school had not intervened and it later transpired that the guy abused this girl.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    The pavement regulator (to use your metaphor) is within their rights to tell you to move on and stop standing and chatting though, surely?
    You missed the point. I wasn't talking about the 12-17 thing, I was only commenting on what Bumblebee said. She didn't mention age difference in any way, nor the headmaster saying anything. Only that "school is not for kissing".
  • Options
    it her parents dotn mid ti ok :heart:
  • Options
    My bf and I are always being split up by dinner ladies at lunchtimes. It's not as if we sit there snogging/shagging etc. Just holding hands and the occassional peck. They even told us once that we were'nt allowed to talk to each other, as he's in upper six (year 13) and i'm year 11! It's a pretty normal age-gap in our year... but occasionally you get some really weird yr 11 lads snogging these little yr 7 girls in the corridors. And my bfs mates are always ogling yr 7s saying 'they'll be fit in a couple of years' or 'shes got a nice ass'. Its not right! Teenagers mature hell of a lot between yr 7 and 10/11.