Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

theres been a big earth quake in pakistan ...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
haven't seen a word in here about it though.
it's very very desperate.
no one is crying out in here for money or tents or anything else ...why is that?

have we become desensitised ...relief fatigued?

Comments

• Options
    Compassion fatigue is a factor, but what's to debate?

The only thing I find offensive is the fact that the president of Pakistan has rebuked the rest of the world for the lack of monetary assistance when they have specifically declined the help of the Indian military. Surely Kashmiri politics would take a back burner to the immediate needs of that population?

And what was his government doing to prevent building collapses in an earthquake zone?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    but what's to debate?

?
    when it's america or africa ...theres loads to say ...
    i get the impression people genuinely are worn out by it all.
    if it goes on like this much longer ...how long will the aid agencys be able to cope i wonder.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    when it's america or africa ...theres loads to say ...
    i get the impression people genuinely are worn out by it all.
    if it goes on like this much longer ...how long will the aid agencys be able to cope i wonder.

They are already strained with it anyway.
  • Options
    I've been thinking the same thing rolly.

It has been a bit of one thing after another recently though hasn't it, what with tsnuami's, hurricanes, floods, etc etc
  • Options
    Theres a natural disaster of some kind every day, probably every few hours. You don't normally hear about then because of the reason you don't usually hear about car crashes - they are so common they aren't news.

You are being told about them in this way precisely to inure you to it. That compassion has recently proved to be a pain in the arse to the PTB so they are using the time honoured method of overload to manage it.

Watch little, read much, hear more.