Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Flu jabs ...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Possible bird flu aside, do any of you guys find flu jabs that useful ... ?

Comments

• Options
    Never had one tbh.
  • Options
    there good if you're almost already dead. but flu jabs WILL DO NOTHING AGAINST AVION FLU. some people seem to forget that.
  • Options
    I had to get the flu jab a couple years ago when I was working in a Day Care Nursery. A couple weeks after it, I had the worst flu I have ever experienced in my life. I was down with it for 2 weeks. Couldn't sleep cause I was in that much agony. From that I refused to ever get it again.

Same thing happened with my Dad. Everytime he got the flu jab, he manages to actually catch the flu not long after it, making him feel worse. This year he refuses to get the flu jab cause of it.

Least that's from our experiences anyways.
  • Options
    I have one every year because I get them free as an asthmatic. The only year I missed one in the last 5 or something like that I got the 'flu and was ill with it for 3 weeks, and then had a throat infection following on from it. So I won't miss mine this year.
  • Options
    They are useful if you need one. Most you you lot don't.
  • Options
    My dad needs it as he's got angina, but it didn't work for him. That's why he's refusing to get it this year.

No doubt it does help people, but obviously not everyone who may need it.
  • Options
    I'm an asthmatic also and in general i just get sick alot so I always get one. I work in a pharmacy though so we get them free. and then we get suckers after.

My parents both got one last year but then they caught a different strain of the flu anyways so it didn't really matter.
  • Options
    Never had one and iv never had the flu (completely jinxed myself there)!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I've never had a flu jab though I've suffered with the flu twice.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Just had my jab, aswell as a pneumonia one, because I work in the hospital.

My arms are aching now though:(
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't remember ever having an injection about it. I used to have the flu at least once a year (sometimes twice) since I remember myself, but after 14 I never have...
  • Options
    As far as I am aware the flu jab takes about 1 month to be effective, so any flu 'caught' in the couple of weeks following a flu jab is flu that would have been caught regardless. The flu jab itself does not cause flu. Also, the immunity only lasts a certain amount of time, it's either three ror six months. I can't remember, it's early!
  • Options
    i have the flu jab at least once a year, as i have chest conditions and trouble breathing. but i know that the injection is not any good against the bird flu. my nurse has told me that i need to top up my flu jab early next year.
    ive just had the flu and pneumonia jab but was told to expect to have another when the bird flu inoculations come through, which has left me in a panic as too wether or not i am susseptable to the bird flu.
  • Options
    01j01 wrote:
    i have the flu jab at least once a year, as i have chest conditions and trouble breathing. but i know that the injection is not any good against the bird flu. my nurse has told me that i need to top up my flu jab early next year.
    ive just had the flu and pneumonia jab but was told to expect to have another when the bird flu inoculations come through, which has left me in a panic as too wether or not i am susseptable to the bird flu.

Oh dear. Hype at it's best!