Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Embarrassment at GUM clinic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think the speculum used for examination should not be made of metal.It is painful. I was asked if it hurt when i have sex but a penis doesn't feel like cold metal.She wasn't exactly gentle inserting it either.It was really hard to relax.I needed to pee,i was told when we're through so i ended up going to the toilet on examination bench. Much to my embarrassment. Has anybody else found visit to GUM clinic distrubing.I don't think i will EVER do a Pap Smear not after what i went through.

Comments

• Options
    anything up there is going to be painful really isn't it!

i should think it'd hurt even if they used strawberry laces.

least now you'll have peace of mind.
  • Options
    where are u from? i was under the impression the old metal speculums had been done away, i've had a few up there in the last three years and lately they have been plastic disposable ones which are alot warmer.

it is very important to have your smears, even if they aren't the most pleasent thing in the world. and the more you stress about it the worse they are. next time, distract yourself by thinking of something else. i tend to go through my times tables in my head for some reason. :)

they are better than what could happen if you got cancer.
  • Options
    i've had a metal one attmepted to be used on me but then the doctor changed her mind and opted for a smaller plastic one.

i have had a speculum used twice on me now and it doesnt really bother me because i know its important.
  • Options
    The metal ones are usually better because they go in easier and don't have sharp edges. Both work equally well, although obviously the metal one will be slightly colder initially. They come in different sizes too.

It shouldn't be too painful and cervical smears are worth having done. As are GUM check ups if you are at risk of STIs.
  • Options
    I've had both. My docs down here only have metal, whereas my doc and gum clinic oop North have plastic. But yes metal ones are cold and horrid and if you arne't relaxed it does hurt a lot, especially if they are a bit rough.
  • Options
    I have all this to look forward to. When do you need your first smear?
  • Options
    The normal is 21 or once you become sexually active.
  • Options
    Ah :nervous:
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    I have all this to look forward to. When do you need your first smear?

It varies between health authorities. If you're not sure, check with your GP surgery.

It used to be 21 in my area but now they've increased the age of the first 'call up' to 25. :)
  • Options
    Ah well I'm 18 so few more years hopefully.
  • Options
    im glad i didnt have to wait til i was 25 coz i had abnormal cells down there. would it have got worse if i had to wait another 4years??

anyone know? (kentish,MoK, go_away?)
  • Options
    they did a live smear test on this morning today!
  • Options
    I kno! I watched it..in a non perverted way.
  • Options
    they did a live smear test on this morning today!

bet that was fun to watch :eek2:

iv never had an awful experiance other than abromal results but that isnt to do with the actual examination, but saying that i have to go next week so iv probably just jinxed myself hehe
  • Options
    im glad i didnt have to wait til i was 25 coz i had abnormal cells down there. would it have got worse if i had to wait another 4years??

anyone know? (kentish,MoK, go_away?)
    Potentially. They've upped the age of first smear because they were getting too many negatives to warrant it. The main risk factor is the human papilloma virus, a sexually transmitted infection, against which they have just produced a vaccine. Eventually routine smears may become a thing of the past.
  • Options
    This is something I'm DEFINITELY not looking forward too.Even less after reading some of these posts :grump: I know it's important though,I wasn't sure when my first one would be,but it looks like another five years so I can relax for the mo :)