Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The philosophy of liberty

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/liberty.php

Lovely little flash animation ma-thingy.

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    "Evil prevails when good men fail to act. They should say evil prevails."

Lord of War, saw it last night. It is true.. one criticism i have of that animation... who asks leader to use force on thier behalf? Certainly the population did not ask for War in Iraq. I suppose then, though, you'll say something along the lines that Iraq and the UK doesn't exist now. :P

Nah, I just suppose we have always had leaders nad people are unwilling to change or question this. We should, as without doing this, how can we hope to make things better?
  • Options
    Seen it before, its a load of bollocks due to it misunderstanding theories of freedom.
  • Options
    Seen it before, its a load of bollocks due to it misunderstanding theories of freedom.

Explain please.

How has it misunderstood freedom?

I am going out on a limb here and say it's espousing a particular view of freedom, and explaining it rather than doing a critique of all of them. I am a little confused as to what you have objection to.

Care to enlighten me? I won't argue I promise. ;)
  • Options
    Actually, I'll qualify that - its OK as far as it goes, but it gets confused about the difference between personal possession and property and it completely fails to mention economic coercion or that man is a social animal.
  • Options
    Fair enough.

Cheers. :)
  • Options
    We've done this before Klintock and you (purposefully I suspect) completely avoided answering my questions.
  • Options
    We've done this before Klintock and you (purposefully I suspect) completely avoided answering my questions.

Yeah we did. As you know I don't do abstraction very well and I don't seem to learn anything trying to do it and never seem to have any more effect than pissing people off about things that seem really obvious (to them). It wasn't purposeful any more than my lack of understanding about abstraction is. I default to senses. If I can't sense it, then for me it ain't there.

So these days I try to avoid all that kind of thing if I can. Aladdin sort of accused me of trying to "outlast" the other posters and it's a fair point. It's not malicious or even that intentional but how people do things totally and utterly fascinates me so I tend to want to batter things until they drop in bits.

If you want to PM me I will happily have another go though.
  • Options
    good to see we dont just argue :);)
  • Options
    :)
  • Options
    It also fails to explain alot of other parts of liberalism, focusing on one area.

And us such, isn't really an explanation - just someones view.
  • Options
    I don't even think I got through half of that thing, too irritating.
  • Options
    That was about as exciting as watching Noel Edmonds.
  • Options
    That was about as exciting as watching Noel Edmonds.

I lvoed house party as a kid. Although Mr.Bloppy, sometimes funny, did manage to piss me off a few times.
  • Options
    It went on a bit and I think Mr Blobby had more insight into life. It's far too simplistic, but obviously honourable in its fundamental point.