Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

English Devolution - post-regionalism the solution?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A lot of disquiet has occured over the idea that Britain should be split into meaningless regions that offer no sense of national pride - right-wingers would say it's EU beneficial.

How about this for a proposal...

England should be devolved, but what we have to understand is that we are bigger than Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. How can we form similar population blocks whilst giving meaning? My idea is base the devolution on the ancient kingdoms: Mercia, Wessex, Northumbria, Cumbria, East Anglia (probably Essex and with them too, even though they're seperate), Kent and Cornwall - London maintaining devolution through the GLA.

Comments

• Options
    A lot of disquiet has occured over the idea that Britain should be split into meaningless regions that offer no sense of national pride - right-wingers would say it's EU beneficial.

Given that the most eurosceptic party is the Tories and they are all also the most right-wing I would suspect that right-wingers wouldn't say it was EU beneficial at all.

England should be devolved, but what we have to understand is that we are bigger than Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. How can we form similar population blocks whilst giving meaning? My idea is base the devolution on the ancient kingdoms: Mercia, Wessex, Northumbria, Cumbria, East Anglia (probably Essex and with them too, even though they're seperate), Kent and Cornwall - London maintaining devolution through the GLA

Wouldn't work - hardly anyone has had any affinity for Mercia, Cumbria et al since the Normans came. And how is it different to the Regional assembly which was voted down a few years ago.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Given that the most eurosceptic party is the Tories and they are all also the most right-wing I would suspect that right-wingers wouldn't say it was EU beneficial at all.

Well, there's always talk of Brussels trying to regionalise us, that's what I was suggesting.

NQA wrote:
    Wouldn't work - hardly anyone has had any affinity for Mercia, Cumbria et al since the Normans came. And how is it different to the Regional assembly which was voted down a few years ago.

Better than 'South-West Assembly,' thought, n'est-ce pas?
  • Options

Would this be voluntary (no thanks) or would you be using violence to make it happen? (still no thanks)
  • Options
  • Options
    There's no demand for more layers of bureaucracy amongst the general public. The North East Assembly was laughed out of town not so long ago.

And your regions clearly aren't population-based. How many more people are there in London than in Cumbria?
  • Options
    IMHO an amicable solution would be for English MP's to vote on English-only matters in the Commons. It makes sense but of course Labour relies on the solid Red blocks of South Wales and Scotland (that it takes for granted I'd like to add) so don't expect it to happen any time soon.
  • Options
    They were elected Members of Parliament for the United Kingdom. They have the right to vote on any matter.

So Northern Irish MPs should only vote for Northern Ireland Acts... the recent smoking ban??

It would farcical.
  • Options
    Better than 'South-West Assembly,' thought, n'est-ce pas?

No - there still unrelated to what people want. Anyway how would Kent, Cornwall and Cumbria be different from the alreay existing County Councils?