Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Epilators...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Who has one? Which one and does it work? I'm looking to buy one and need ideas. Cheers x

Comments

• Options
    me

this one:

3370.jpg

and yes, it works well. takes a while to get used to the right angle and motion to actually get the hairs out and not just hurt yourself lots though....
  • Options
    Epilators are evil. They make me cry, but unfortunatley apart from shaving they are the only hair removing device that doesn't destroy the tan on your legs. So bite a pillow and go for it.
  • Options
    I dont find it painfull to do, infact its just an annoying tickle for me. But I dont like using it cos it takes me an hour to do and I dont find it lasts very long anyway.
  • Options
    I bought one last year after hearing good things about them on here. I didnt find it too painful on my legs, but it made me get a lot of ingrown hairs. It also only lasted for about a week, which s considerably less than the 4 or 5 weeks they say on the box. I did perservere for a while to see if it would need doing less often after a while, but it didnt. I also tried it on my underarms which was pure agony, and made my armpits come up in several red spots, which meant I couldnt go sleeveless for over a week because it looked gross.
    I have now given it to my mum (who gets on fine with it) and I have reverted to shaving, which although I have to do it every couple of days, it doesnt make me rashy and spotty.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I've got this one and I thinks its great...
  • Options
    thats like mine, except mine was yellow.
    I think some people are just suited to eplilating and waxing etc, and some people arent.
  • Options
    You get those ones with the ice thing on them. I would love to get one but just sounds too painfull.
  • Options
    http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0006ZO2BM.02._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I bought this one about a month ago. I didn't find it painful at all on the legs... but couldn't get it near bikini line or underarms...
    Still, I'm quite satisfied with it...
  • Options

Thats the one i've got, it works pretty allright, it's just a bit annoying cause it takes about 15 minutes to do your legs properly.

Also i find it fine to use on my under arms, just don't go and try it down there :shocking:
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    Thats the one i've got, it works pretty allright, it's just a bit annoying cause it takes about 15 minutes to do your legs properly.

Also i find it fine to use on my under arms, just don't go and try it down there :shocking:
    Hurt much? :p
  • Options
    oh dear i feel pretty thick lol what exactly does an epilator do?! i thought it was jus some sort of razor!! shows how much i know!
  • Options
    x~*Nat*~x wrote:
    oh dear i feel pretty thick lol what exactly does an epilator do?! i thought it was jus some sort of razor!! shows how much i know!

Ditto!
  • Options
    Pulls the hairs out.

Mines delayed 2 weeks though which is a bit of a bastard.
  • Options
    How? Does it like have mini tweezers inside? :s
  • Options
    I'm not sure :/
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    How? Does it like have mini tweezers inside? :s

it has a series of mini tweezers. Looks like a razor, in theory is the same as a razor, but the tweezers rip out the hairs. So painful, my housemate did it on my leg. Horrid, wouldn't do it again. Waxing = quicker and less painful, or shaving!!! :angel:
  • Options
    Which is more painful - waxing or epilating?

Atm, I have my legs waxed every 3/4 months and shave in between these times when I need to.

I'm tempted to try an epilator, but just how painful are they??

Ilora x
  • Options

Atm, I have my legs waxed every 3/4 months and shave in between these times when I need to.

Ilora x
    Mine come today and I got home from work at 6 and oh my lordy. It kills. :|
  • Options

Ilora x

I think they're as painful as each other - it's just that epilating takes longer, so it hurts for longer. For me it's not unbearable, it's a kind of grit-your-teeth-and-bear-it pain.

Damn sight cheaper than waxing though :yes:
  • Options
    I have one and I never use it as it is soooo painful! Many times I've thought, oh come on it's cant be that bad!! But it really is! I just can't do it anymore!! UGH!! But then shaving also really annoys me as you have to do it so often and I always cut myself as I am BAD at shaving. I've also tried wax strips, but they just simply don't work and are way too messy! So in my experience, those creams are the best. i get on well with Veet - u just leave the foam on your legs for like 5 mins and wash off. It's simple and painful, and it works :)
  • Options
    anabanana wrote:
    It's simple and painful, and it works :)

It is not simple, you need to buy two cos unless you have migit legs you end up with only a leg and a half of cream. Then theres the burning, and the rug gets runined cos it splats and it last for all of 2 days. I'm thinking of just giving up and not shaving my legs unless I need to wear a skirt. Which isnt very often. I'm sure my bf wouldnt mind. Not as if I'm wolf girl or anything.
  • Options
    anabanana wrote:
    It's simple and painful, and it works :)
    No it's not, I think you mean painless, and no it doesn't.

Veet are crappy, too. That stuff never worked on me, ever.
  • Options
    I'm a lazy bitch. ;)

I don't have a boyfriend, and even if I did, I can't be arsed shaving my legs all the bloody time. I shaved them yesterday... before that, I don't know when it was. They were like mini-fields. But who cares? As long as they're not on show, no-one will ever know.

Haha! :D
  • Options
    I think you mean painless

Yeah sorry!! I meant painless!
  • Options
    Well, it hurts but its worth it IMO, Girls.
  • Options
    I'm a lazy bitch. ;)

I don't have a boyfriend, and even if I did, I can't be arsed shaving my legs all the bloody time. I shaved them yesterday... before that, I don't know when it was. They were like mini-fields. But who cares? As long as they're not on show, no-one will ever know.

Haha! :D
    im exactly the same
  • Options
    it has a series of mini tweezers. Looks like a razor, in theory is the same as a razor, but the tweezers rip out the hairs. So painful, my housemate did it on my leg. Horrid, wouldn't do it again. Waxing = quicker and less painful, or shaving!!! :angel:

your sig makes my eyes hurt :(