Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

private schools may be voluntarily nationalised

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://education.independent.co.uk/news/article320010.ece

why does no politicians want to tackle the hard quesion of improve the quality of all schools

especially when they dont like their own staff at the DfEShttp://education.independent.co.uk/news/article319158.ece

Comments

• Options
    All schools should be private.

The government has no place in telling children what they can and cannot know.
  • Options
    The government doesn't tell children anything. Are you out of your mind? :rolleyes:

All the government does is to arrange and pay (though taxes of course) for the existence and mainteneance of schools.

Who is going to pay the fees for the less wealthy if all schools go private? You?
  • Options
    The government doesn't tell children anything. Are you out of your mind? :rolleyes:

Go talk to a teacher, especially one who has been doing the job for more than 15 years and they will tell you how wrong you are.
    Who is going to pay the fees for the less wealthy if all schools go private? You?

Tax effects those on lowest incomes most of all.
  • Options
    :confused: Do you mean the National Curriculum? Or text books?

As for taxes, chances are that the proportion of taxes used to fund state schools are infinitely lower than the school fees charged by private schools.

In any case those on lowest incomes pay the lowest taxes- nearly none at all, especially if they are unemployed/ on benefits etc.
  • Options
    Do you mean the National Curriculum? Or text books?

Go ask a teacher.
    In any case those on lowest incomes pay the lowest taxes- nearly none at all, especially if they are unemployed/ on benefits etc.

VAT, Council tax, car tax, national insurance, yadda yadda all make a much bigger impact on a poor persons budget than a rich one's. The passed on taxes from manufacturers also make up a huge chunk of the price. Inflation (also a tax) also chips away the value of any saving they try to acquire.
    As for taxes, chances are that the proportion of taxes used to fund state schools are infinitely lower than the school fees charged by private schools.

So people could pay them, aye?
  • Options
    No, many people could definitely not afford to pay private schools fees.

That is why state schools are paramount.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    No, many people could definitely not afford to pay private schools fees.

Let's put it this way, it would cost a damned sight more than my respective tax burden for education...

All those taxpayers without school age children currently help subsidise those of us whose children attend state school. Without that support I'd have tough decisions to make about priorities. As mine are a roof over my head and food on the table, the education of my children would falls much lower. As it stands it is not an issue for me.

As for this story, I cannot see any problem with it provided that the schools in question receive the same price per student as the state schools do...
  • Options
    All schools should be private.

The government has no place in telling children what they can and cannot know.

and commercial businesses have?
  • Options
    "the Government is also looking at extending the use of private sector involvement in schools with a plan for "city academies lite", dubbed "Boots schools" by Whitehall. Companies such as Boots, Kellogg's or Toyota could be given a stake in the success of the school, while not running them."

Wouldn't this lead to brainwashing?

If I have one packet of Kelloggs cornflakes and add another, how many packets will I have? etc.
  • Options
    It has already happened. With... guess who... that great provider for the wellbeing of children, McDonalds.

Years ago McDonalds funded several 'initiatives' in which it would provide nursery and rhyme books to younger kids in primary schools. All very well... until you discover that popular rhymes have been 'updated' and now sing the praises of McDonalds food to the children.

Further involvement by other companies would definitely be the wrong way around.

Though given the love New Labour has of such corporations, consider it done already.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    If I have one packet of Kelloggs cornflakes and add another, how many packets will I have? etc.
    Two?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Two?

Ah, but it could be buy one get one free... or even a Variety pack...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It has already happened. With... guess who... that great provider for the wellbeing of children, McDonalds.

The of course there are the stories from the US about children being suspended/expelled for publically slagging off their school's "sponsor"...
  • Options
    Really?

That's appalling... :no:

What would happen if they show up in class with Burger King food?
  • Options
    Apparent true. I read it in a book by Naomi Klein which I would recommend to you. It's called "No Logo"...

Review

NB There's a mention of the story in this review...
  • Options
    and commercial businesses have?

I dont see why commercial organisations cant provide the backing capital - but it would be parents and teachers at grass roots level who decide what to teach.
  • Options
    I dont see why commercial organisations cant provide the backing capital - but it would be parents and teachers at grass roots level who decide what to teach.

You don't see any potential conflicts of interest?