Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

update on torture ruling from last year

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4347694.stm

law lords to investigate whetherits fair for UK agencies to check evidence for torture

Comments

• Options
    I normally like to balance my ideas of what's right and wrong, there's normally two sides of the story...

But torture never helps anybody, it's simply an act of hatred that does nothing more than destroy people, not help them.
  • Options
    I normally like to balance my ideas of what's right and wrong, there's normally two sides of the story...

But torture never helps anybody, it's simply an act of hatred that does nothing more than destroy people, not help them.

Well you never know, if you're interrogating someone and by torture you can get the information you need... it could save a lot of people's lives. I'm not advocating it by the way, merely hypothesising. What's to stop someone being tortured giving any answer just to avoid more torture.
  • Options
    Well you never know, if you're interrogating someone and by torture you can get the information you need... it could save a lot of people's lives. I'm not advocating it by the way, merely hypothesising. What's to stop someone being tortured giving any answer just to avoid more torture.

most people wil land up telling the torturer what the torturer wants to hear, which is not necesserily the trurth
  • Options
    Well you never know, if you're interrogating someone and by torture you can get the information you need...

As you suggested, you get whatever information stops the torture. There is no telling whether it's the truth or not.
    it could save a lot of people's lives. I'm not advocating it by the way, merely hypothesising.

You could also hypthesise that detaining people without charge is "for the greater good" - what about instead of torture we just double tap them, that coule be for the greater good too.

Thing is, if we are to fight against people like this then the best weapon we have is our freedoms. IMHO. It's what we should stand for, what we should fight to protect if necessary. At least, our forebears thought it was worth it...