Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

US has almost made knowing someone is on drugs and not telling the police illegal

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h109-1528

very complicated indeed

basically,
H.R. 1528 provides for a two year jail sentence for anyone who observes or come across information about drug distribution near learning institutions – that’s universities and colleges, too - and does not report it to authorities within 24 hours and provide full assistance investigating, apprehending, and prosecuting those involved

super stupid

Comments

• Options
    Great idea, fully support it.
  • Options
    Police state.

But what's new?
  • Options
    True Blue wrote:
    Great idea, fully support it.

Why should someone face prosecution for seeing a couple of uni students exchanging money for weed?

Another case of supreme idiocy.
  • Options
    Aren't our laws similar?

Isn't it illegal not to inform the police if you are aware that drug use/dealing is happening on your premises? I can't remember TBH.
  • Options
    People would abuse that law so much. It's a narcs best friend.

"Almost" is nowhere near close. Its has't even been let to the whole house since April, dont expect it to go anywhere.

*edit becasue I read the title wrong*
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Give more hugs and there's likelyhood of people turning to drugs. Make a hugging law. Mmmm, maybe if they were going to rehabilitate people rather than locking them away and letting them rot, maybe that would help?
    I used to know the answer, alas, i'VE GONE HALF MAD. Too much worrying sabout prison every time I smoke a joint.

Smoking a joint isn't going to land you a spell in prison :confused:

Smoke a joint in front of policeman and 50% of the time they won't say a word.
  • Options
    >sigh<

Had the people involved been convicted of drug offence "x" at the time?

Answer - "no"

So they were presumed innocent?

Answer - "yes"

Can I give summary judgement instead of a court?

Answer - "no"

So, why are you asking me to pre-empt a courts decision?

You can only be charged with anything like this once the other person has been found guilty, because sending you to jail would prejudice the case.
  • Options
    Aren't our laws similar?

Isn't it illegal not to inform the police if you are aware that drug use/dealing is happening on your premises? I can't remember TBH.

It is illegal for you to allow your premises to be used for the consumption or supply of most illegal drugs, with the notable exception of crack.

A more worrying move in the US is to make bar/club owners and in some cases patrons personally responsible for any drug use which happens in the bar.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    It is illegal for you to allow your premises to be used for the consumption or supply of most illegal drugs, with the notable exception of crack.

Not true. the Misuse of Drugs Act used to only make it an offence for premises to be used for the consumption of opium and cannabis (presumably a hangover from the days of opium dens), however, it was recently amended to include all illegal drugs - including crack (which is cocaine anyway).
  • Options
    i pressume the idea is to turn us all into policemen.
    grass up your niehgbours for fear of your own little hold on freedom.
    isn't this from the evil empire the yanks hated so much?
  • Options
    Not surprising Rolly, Neo-Conservatism, after all is a Trotskyite ideology (with elements of societal repression also taken from the Gestapo and Stazi handbooks).

Besides, you'd be surprised how many ex-KGB and Stazi agents have been absorbed into the Washington power structure.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Not true. the Misuse of Drugs Act used to only make it an offence for premises to be used for the consumption of opium and cannabis (presumably a hangover from the days of opium dens), however, it was recently amended to include all illegal drugs - including crack (which is cocaine anyway).

Was that in the most recent round of tinkering with the MDA?
  • Options
    I think so.

[edit]
    2001 amendment as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I think so.

2001 as far as I can tell.

i have to point out this post!

this is why we love you blag ...we know ...deep down there in your stony little heart ...beats a soul ...with humility.