Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What other Drugs can affect the functioning of Demadex

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello Everybody,
I am working in a multinational electronics company as a market analyzer. I am suffering from high blood pressure from last one year. Recently I got swelling in the body. When I visited my doctor he told me that swelling is due to by water retention caused by heart disease. He has prescribed me to take Demadex. I forgot to tell about the other drugs which I am taking already. Could anyone tell me what other drug can affect the functioning of Demadex. Please help me out of this problem.

Comments

• Options
    i would advise you to ring your pharmacy they will know and will be a lot quicker than waiting for a doctors appointment if its not needed
  • Options
    RE:What other Drugs can affect the functioning of Demadex

Hello Jemmy,
    After going through your question I will suggest you to consult a physician before taking Demadexif you are taking any other drugs. Functioning of one drug may hamper by the other drug. Also these drugs react with each other to cause some unwanted reaction. In these cases, your doctor may want to change the dose, or other precautions may be necessary. When you are taking Demadex and any of the following drugs:
    • Acetazolamide
    • Amphotericin B by injection
    • Azlocillin
    • Capreomycin
    • Corticosteroids or
    • Corticotropin
    • Dichlorphenamide
    • Diuretics (water pills)
    • Insulin
    • Piperacillin
    • Salicylates
    • Sodium bicarbonate
    • Vitamin B 12
    • Vitamin D?
    • Pain Killers
    • Anticoagulants (blood thinners)?
    If you are taking any of the above drugs or any other drug consult your Doctor before taking Demadex.
  • Options
    I'm surprised that your doctor didn't ask you what other drugs you were taking before prescribing anything to be honest.

The best thing you can do is go back to your GP as soon as possible to explain - it might be that a different treatment is more suitable.

If you are in the UK you could also call NHS Direct who might be able to help:

NHS Direct

Advice and information on all health-related issues.
    Web: www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk
    Tel: 0845 46 47
  • Options
    Demadex isn't sold in the UK, so I guess you are from the States.

In which case, you are best going back to your family doctor to seek advice. The drug is Torasemide, which is a diuretic similar to the more commonly precribed Furosemide. It is widely used for hypertension and heart failure and will obviously make you go to the loo more often but if you are having unbearable side-effects, seek medical advice.