Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What to wear to an Wedding Reception Evening do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any ideas? :yeees:

I'm going to my manager's wedding evening do thingy in a couple of weeks time and don't know what to wear! I'm open to many things - though I usually wear trousers a lot so wearing a skirt or dress would be nice for a change.. But what sort?! I've never been to an evening reception before. Only family weddings when I was little.

I get on really well with my manager and the rest of my colleagues are going to be there too, along with all our partners. It'll be a fun occasion - chocolate fountain and balloons everywhere and all that.

Just for reference, I'm 5ft 8, size 6/8 - and a 34D so some styles don't fit/suit me!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Options
    it totally depends on the style of the wedding, tbh. one of my cousins had a really posh wedding, where everyone was in evening dresses. another had a semiposh do, with suits and smart dresses, another had a more informal thing, where we wore the kind of stuff you'd go out on a friday night in (eveningwear, but funky).

ask your boss if it's smart smart, or smart casual, then go from there.

if it's smart casual, and you want to wear a dress, how about something like a wrap dress, or one of those jersey type things that are all about now? you'll look smart, but not as if you thought it was a royal wedding, and it'll be well comfy for dancing ;)
  • Options
    A nice gypsey skirt with a nice top could be nice, they can look formal or casual!
  • Options
    dont wear white, in case you get chocolate fountain on it.
  • Options
    i wore a cream knee length skirt, brown patterened top+matching brown shoes, and it was perfect for a smart/casual wedding reception!
  • Options
    http://order.next.co.uk/shot.asp?b=G40&p=48&s=2&n=undefined

I REALLY like this dress, never noticed it before, actually. What about that?
  • Options
    That is so nice and the colour is fab!!
    Very smart but sexy!
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    if it's smart casual, and you want to wear a dress, how about something like a wrap dress, or one of those jersey type things that are all about now? you'll look smart, but not as if you thought it was a royal wedding, and it'll be well comfy for dancing ;)

That said, Zara Phillips wore a wrap dress to Charles and Camilla's wedding! :yes:

Thanks for all your suggestions. There is a gorgeous green dress on Miss Selfridge's website (I can't get the picture tho, it's all Flash Media thingy), but it's £60 which I can't really afford.

Could I wear a black dress, do you think, or is colour better? Only there's a nice black dress (shoestring straps, just above the knee), again from Miss Selfridge which might suit me for only £30.

:banghead:

PS holliepop27 - can't say I agree about the "great great Grimsby" comment! I live about 8 miles away! :wave:
  • Options
    For my brother's wedding i wore a black dress in the evening but wore pink shoes to brighten it up! For the day, i hada gorgeous outfit from Coast - floaty skirt, corset top.. But that'd be a bit OTT for just the evening do.
  • Options
    Ahhh, that's why I love being a bloke. All you need is a suit. And suits will NEVER go out of fashion.