Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What's the difference between....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A citizen and someone who is merely in the country?

There must be a difference but I can't for the life of me think of what it is.

Comments

• Options
    Thought you didn't believe in countries ;)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Jim V wrote:

Yeah, Kilntock claimed countries don't exist so citizenship is therefore irrelevant.
  • Options

I don't. It's like asking fundies about the commandments, kind of thing.

Well, actually I know that countries aren't there, and you happily admit that it's just a belief. ;)

So, what's the difference?
  • Options
    About 3.5 inches.

Thought the difference was obvious, are you meaning it in some sortof other sense?

A citizen belongs in and is a national of the country of which they are a citizen. They are in a way "attached" to that country - it is the state they are responsible too.
  • Options
    About 3.5 inches.

:lol:
    Thought the difference was obvious, are you meaning it in some sortof other sense?

Yeah, it's tricky for me to grasp because I don't do this stuff normally. My up and coming liability for an ID card is going to depend on this difference though. ;)
    A citizen belongs in and is a national of the country of which they are a citizen.

Belongs how? Does the country own them? How is that possible? All wandering arguments about countries aside, legally, they are groups of people owing allegence in exchange for protection. I don't see anyone getting protection, do you?
    They are in a way "attached" to that country - it is the state they are responsible too.

So if I am not a citizen then I don't have any responsibilities, like tax and following laws?
  • Options
    Well you do have responsibilities - e.g: Follow th law, we are ALL obliged to do that or face trial and sentence. But yes, your tax is payable to the country you are a citizen of, unless as my Dad is working out hte country now - over 6 month and no Tax for the money he earns there.

A french Citizen cannot get a British passport or ID card, for example. You have to be a British citizen or know a good forger. I suppose in a way we are kindof "Owned" by the state... odd way to think of it. And not "Owned" in the internet sense, although with the new anti-terror laws, we have been!
  • Options
    Well you do have responsibilities - e.g: Follow th law, we are ALL obliged to do that or face trial and sentence

As everyone who commits crimes will be taken to court whatever their citizenship, that can't be part of it. Same with taxation, Unless i can swap to being swiss and stop paying or something.
    A french Citizen cannot get a British passport or ID card, for example.

So if I give those things back I stop being a citizen?
    I suppose in a way we are kindof "Owned" by the state... odd way to think of it

I think it's the latest word for "peasant".

I am assuming that since you can renounce your citizenship it's a voluntary thing. After all I can gain other citizenships and drop any current one that I have. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to make my own country.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Perhaps it would be worthwhile to make my own country.
    i've been doing that for the last twenty years ...physicaly ...materialy.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    klintock wrote:
    What's the difference between a citizen and someone who is merely in the country?
    Bureaucracy.