Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

US rejects British Katrina beef

SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
Story

I didn't realise there was still such a ban on our beef, which is now probably the safest in the world.

Thoughts?
Weekender Offender 

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    I thought it was funny that British beef wasn't good enough for Americans but that they're willing to ship it to some other country with food shortages. The cheek!
  • Options
    We are picky that way
  • Options
    T3C wrote:
    We are picky that way
    ungrateful bunch o cunts comes to mind.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Because of Foot and Mouth apparently.

Meh, it's only their own citizens that are starving - they should think of their current shit performance and what to do to win hte next election - With this showing, they have GOT to be out.

Idiots.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Because of Foot and Mouth apparently.

Meh, it's only their own citizens that are starving - they should think of their current shit performance and what to do to win hte next election - With this showing, they have GOT to be out.

Idiots.

The irony is, because of foot and mouth British Beef now has to adhere to very rigorous specifications, including how they are kept, what they are fed, the conditions, etc. etc. etc., and a lot of countries, in fact the majority of countries are now worse than us for the care of their beef.

More beef for me ;)
  • Options
    No-one starved because they turned them down. And knowing how greedy lawyers can be they would be taking a risk that they would be facing a lawsuit if they did distribute them.

Mind you unless they've improved dramatically in the last few years I suspect the people of New Orleans have had a narrow escape.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    No-one starved because they turned them down. And knowing how greedy lawyers can be they would be taking a risk that they would be facing a lawsuit if they did distribute them.

Mind you unless they've improved dramatically in the last few years I suspect the people of New Orleans have had a narrow escape.
    British beef is now one of the strictest controlled meat products in the world and we are a few years down the line now but ...america are still struggling with mad cow disease themselves.

british beef is safer than sex.
  • Options
    If Americans are concerned about healthy food they should start by trying to re-educate people and their dietary habits and having a closer look at their fast food restaurants. BSE is the least of the problems.
  • Options
    British beef is now one of the strictest controlled meat products in the world and we are a few years down the line now but ...america are still struggling with mad cow disease themselves.

british beef is safer than sex.

That's as may be, but its still banned in the US (and plenty of other countries) and if they had distributed it they'd be breaking the law and risking being sued. Given they didn't need it why take the chance?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    If Americans are concerned about healthy food they should start by trying to re-educate people and their dietary habits and having a closer look at their fast food restaurants. BSE is the least of the problems.
    i think you could probably be proved right ...BFA disease will surely kill more than BSE disease.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    its still banned in the US if they had distributed it they'd be breaking the law ?
    i didn't know that.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    More beef for me ;)

Not if I can eat it first!

Mmm... beef...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I think you can now trace the history behind every slab of beef on the shelf in this country. Why do these bans on our beef still exist?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I think you can now trace the history behind every slab of beef on the shelf in this country. Why do these bans on our beef still exist?

Because its a nice way to keep protectionist policies in place while not actually appearing to illegally protect your own markets.
  • Options
    Many years ago (25-30 if memory serves) there was an outbreak of a disease in Spain that affected pigs. Spanish pork products were banned from export until the disease was wiped out and the meat declared safe again. But even after exports resumed Britain kept a unilateral ban on Spanish pork products for several more years, even though the meat was now safe and the official ban lifted.

Such bans come down to economics and protecting one's own industry first. I'm certain countries like France and the US know British meat is perfectly safe (and of outstanding quality I daresay). But they'll try to keep the ban for as long as they can get away with it.