Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Its dangerous in Zimbabwe!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/homeaffairs/story/0,11026,1592399,00.html

So the govt has been criticised for deporting failed asylum seekers to Zimbabwe because they would be 'at risk of harm'

How surprising!

And they needed a committee and an investigation to find this out, I could have told them form reading the BBC website!

Do you think there is any likelihood of the govt policy changing with regards to asylum seekers form Zimbabwe and other dangerous countries in light of this?

Comments

• Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Do you think there is any likelihood of the govt policy changing with regards to asylum seekers form Zimbabwe and other dangerous countries in light of this?

No. We cant have a compassionate asylum system, we'd be seen as a 'soft touch' and we'd be over run with darkies from all the grim places on Earth.
  • Options
    Doea anyone question that this person would be treated differently if they were a white zimbabwean?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Does anyone question that this person would be treated differently if they were a white zimbabwean?

No. It would be really obvious they would be fleeing torture.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

I think that case law now means that they have no choice.

For once, I think a Judge has made a good decision...
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    No. It would be really obvious they would be fleeing torture.

How so?

The govt is committed to acting on a individual case basis.

As far as I am aware you cannot say that every white person in Zimbabwe is under direct threat.

As far as I know there are far more black people under threat of persecution than there are white people......