Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fear of Vomiting....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I dunno if i can call it a phobia as such, but i have a very big fear of throwing up. Like if i feel the slightest big sick, i panic thinking i might throw up. And when i know i am, my heart races so fast and i start sweating thinking 'oh my god, i'm going to be sick...'
Also when someone else says they feel sick, i panic thinking they'll be sick and then i'll feel sick....

My mum told me when i was little i was always throwing up, always had tummy bugs and stuff. And i'd even throw up in my sleep without knowing.

I'm not sure if being ill so often when i was little has contributed to me having a massive fear of vomiting? I know no one likes being ill, but i seem to get worked up over it more than other people i know...

Comments

• Options
    i didn't know this until about 2 hours ago, but http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=88371
  • Options
    Sorry, i never read that thread far enough to know what it was about.
    Quite alot of the descriptions do sound like me :(, i've been the same for as long as i can remember though. I remember once when my brother was sick (years ago), i ran upstairs as fast as i could and didn't come down till the next day because i was scared i'd catch it
  • Options
    Hi there Ballerina

This is something I suffer from too - it's called emetophobia, have had it for as long as I can remember.

There's loads of people who suffer from this - it's the 6th most common phobia.

I'm obviously not diagnosing you or saying you have it because I don't know enough about how you suffer. However, the main symptoms of it are this:

Intense fear of v****, v*******, or seeing people v**** (I can't type the word, sorry...)
    Eating problems (such as eating little or nothing if you have to go out, feeling that you have to leave yourself 'empty') Not eating if you're out 'just in case'
    Some contamination issues, being over clean, obsessive handwashing
    Checking your body for signs of illness
    Intense fear of being around other people if they say they feel ill

There are lots of other symptoms too - and they vary from sufferer to sufferer, those are just the basic ones.

If you think you've got a real problem best go speak to your GP, but there's some useful internet resources on this - but they do contain lots of triggering stuff. Check out

http://www.emetophobia.org
    http://www.emetonline.co.uk

Those are two I've used and still do sometimes.

Hope you're ok, I do understand what you're going through

Love cavegirl
    xxx
  • Options
    Well, when i'm eating out i sometimes worry that the food wasn't cooked right and that i'll get food poisioning
    If people say they feel sick, i want to get as far away from them as possible
    When i feel sick, i basically have a panic attack which makes me feel even worse....and so on
    I avoid situations where people might be sick, but fortunatly i don't have to do much of it.
    Even thinking about this is making me queasy
    And my biggest issue i think is being out of the house and throwing up, like in a public place, especially alone.
  • Options
    There's loads of people who suffer from this - it's the 6th most common phobia.

An Ericksonian hypnotist or clinical hypnotherapist will be able to help you with this.
    Intense fear of v****, v*******, or seeing people v**** (I can't type the word, sorry...)

Vimto can also be scary. And votmi as well as voitm. Can you spell vimto?
    If you think you've got a real problem best go speak to your GP, but there's some useful internet resources on this - but they do contain lots of triggering stuff. Check out

Is learning more ways to be phobic a good idea? Gut instinct says "no".
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

that's a good point. personally i stay away from those websites because they will just give me ideas of things i hadn't even considered worrying about yet. you will all feed off each other, and you will make yourself worse.

the deal with a phobia is that it is all in your head. the more normal you pretend you are, the quicker you will 'learn' normal behaviours.
  • Options
    I suffer from this too but i have to say im not as bad as i used to be.
    I still wont go on fast theme park rides incase im sick or be around people who feel sick.
    I wouldnt go on school trips when i was little because of the fear of some1 being travel sick.
    I dnt drink alcohol incase i drink too much and am sick.
    The list is endless but iv accepted it is the way i am and i try to deal with it.
  • Options
    yeah i don't think i'm as bad as i used to be, but it's still a problem i think
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    edited - content

note for the future: don't post about being sick in a thread full of people phobic about it. would you post pics of tarantulas in a thread of people scared of spiders?
  • Options
    hmm i wouldn't say i'm phobic about it, but i really don't like the idea of throwing up, lol i don't suppose most people do........i have a real aversion, i think because i used to get carsick a lot as a kid, you feel it coming and you think aghhh not again and try to stop it.......had a really weird trip on lsa one time where blood was gushing out a mate's arm and i thought i was going to be sick, spun me right out.......doesn't really bother me seeing people being sick, except on mushrooms it can be contagious...........saying that i haven't been sick in years, and never off booze which i've alway thought was weird, even monday night when i nearly poisoned myself with a litre of vodka.......my mate puked all over my room a few weeks back that wasn't particularly pleasant.......i'm not sure where exactly this train of thought is going......i hear it's one of the worst smells known to man so i guess i'm lucky in that regard.....
  • Options
    i'm glad i didn't see whatever was edited ;)
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i'm glad i didn't see whatever was edited ;)

it wasn't that bad. just a bit unecessary. best to be safe than sorry, especially when you've people who can't even write/say the word.
    apollo_69 wrote:
    hmm i wouldn't say i'm phobic about it, but i really don't like the idea of throwing up, lol i don't suppose most people do...

and that right there is one of the problems. you're totally right, no one does. it's totally unpleasant. whenever i tell someone about my phobia (and i tend not to, all that often, in case i jinx myself. stupid, no?) they almost always say. 'but no one likes it".

there's a fine line between someone who really doesn't like it, and someone who is a mild phobic, and the buzzword for today is avoidance. someone who has an aversion might panic and leg it when someone says they feel sick after drinking too much at a house party. the phobic would never have been to the party in the first place.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

You are right, klintock. I should have made clear in my post that I used those internet resources at first when I was unsure about what was wrong with me. I no longer look at them as I find them too triggering and they make me obsess about it more. I assume 'gut instinct' was a freudian slip though ;) ?
  • Options
    I assume 'gut instinct' was a freudian slip though ? ;)

Not at all. I am a hypnotist, after all.

If I were to be looking at this problem professionally, I would be pointing out various things like your bodies ability to heal itself, without your needing to think about it, the bodies ability to breathe the 20,000 or so times a day it does, your heart pumping blood and keeping you alive and vital, your eyes blinking away dust and tiredness. These are a few of those things that your unconscious mind does for you every day without you thinking about them. Can you think of any more? :yes:

When you cut your finger, it heals. Do you know how it stops? I don't. No one does. It's amazing that it knows not to grow a twin of you, it knows what shape you should be and how to operate you in ways you haven't even thought of. Question is, can you trust it.

It takes a lot of effort to take control of your blinking, and even more to take control of your blinking and beathing. It's not your job to do those things, it's your unconscious mind's job to take care of those things, and it's very, very good at them. Now, most people don't thank their unconscious, many don't even know they have one looking after them and never leaving them behind but I do, because I know what it does for me and how it keeps me healthy.

Anyway, Jim V has asked me not to, so that's just what I would say if you were in a deep, deep trance and thinking about these things.
  • Options
    Ok, maybe I'm being a bit stupid here - I'm really not sure what you're getting at with your post. I understand your concept and your thinking and what you're saying, I'm just not sure how that all relates to emetophobia, chick. :)
  • Options
    Ok, maybe I'm being a bit stupid here - I'm really not sure what you're getting at with your post. I understand your concept and your thinking and what you're saying, I'm just not sure how that all relates to emetophobia, chick. ;)

No worries. Read it again, sleep on it and enjoy the dream.
  • Options
    you mean it's my unconsiousness trying to deal with it??
    But i don't want it to.....it over-reacts. :(
  • Options
    you mean it's my unconsiousness trying to deal with it??
    But i don't want it to.....it over-reacts :(

No Ballerina, you are consciously trying to do something that should be unconscious. Just like if you take control of your blinking and your breathing, it's a lot of effort and a lot of stress to your system. I mean try it now - to take control of your breath - breath every four seconds and blink every three seconds.

You soon feel lost, don't you?

Why? because it's not that opart of the mind's job to look after those functions. You might notice that if you let your unconscious take control of those functons again, it does it flawlessly, perfectly. It even corrects any breathlessness you may have made for yourself. You can trust it with something as important as your breathing......

I leave you to fill in the rest.
  • Options
    but if i've been like this all my life, and it happens automatically - it's very hard or impossible to stop
  • Options
    i see what you're saying, klintock, but we're not trying to take over our bodily functions. we're trying to avoid them.

it's been noted that the actual incidences of being sick amongst emetophobes is significantly less than in the general population. now some of this can be explained by the avoidance, like they are much less likely to get drunk or eat 'risky' foods, but even when faced with something like a stomach bug, not very many phobics will actually throw up. there are incidences of people going ten, twenty, once even fifty years without doing it. not too many will tell you how long it's been, though, for fear of jinxing themselves.

maybe we're thinking that our subconscious is a bit rubbish and we do much better when we control the reflex ourselves? is the whole throwing up deal even necessary?
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i see what you're saying, klintock, but we're not trying to take over our bodily functions. we're trying to avoid them.

it's been noted that the actual incidences of being sick amongst emetophobes is significantly less than in the general population. now some of this can be explained by the avoidance, like they are much less likely to get drunk or eat 'risky' foods, but even when faced with something like a stomach bug, not very many phobics will actually throw up. there are incidences of people going ten, twenty, once even fifty years without doing it. not too many will tell you how long it's been, though, for fear of jinxing themselves.

maybe we're thinking that our subconscious is a bit rubbish and we do much better when we control the reflex ourselves? is the whole throwing up deal even necessary?

That's totally it, Kaffrin...:) you explained it so well.
  • Options
    kaffrin has a point, i once went from the ages of 8-14 without throwing up once, since the time when i'd just turned 14, which was a one off thing i've had 1 stomache bug that has made me throw up. And it only lasted 1 night, i was dead the next day then the day after i was ok. Apart from a strained chest.
  • Options
    I suffer from this as well - but im not as bad as I used to be but i still have a totally irational fear of being sick - for example when i went to india i was too scared to eat the food incase i got ill so I lived off of 3 packets of biscuits I brought with me and the odd excursion to McDonalds to eat chips. I also used to be unable to leave the house or go to sleep unless armed with a massive array of medicines in order to stop myself feeling sick - which i did permenantly because i was so paranoied about it.

Anyway one day I told myself I was being ridiculous and that it had to stop it took be about a year to be able to leave the house without all the stuff I thought I needed but it was well worth it.

I still however can{t cope with feeling ill at all much to many peoples annoyances and I cant{ face having a baby incase it pukes up - arrrrggggghhhhh

I didn{t know it had a name though............
  • Options
    Actually, my mum used to be the same as me. She wasn't as bad but it still was a bit of an issue. She told me having kids helps, because if they're ill you don't care, you just clean them up.