Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Brain Aneurysm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My cousin who's 17 nearly died a month ago from having a brain aneurysm and suffered a Subarachnoid hemorrhage. (I think that was it) Now he's starting to heal and is gonna have a really bad scar for life. But he's ok and alive thats all that matters. Thing is he was perfectly healthy, no signs at all.

We've been told its likely to run in the family and that we can get checked out for brain aneurysms. But if we have one they can't do anything about it or something. Would you wanna know if you had one? Because I feel as though if i knew i did or anyone else in my family, the slightest headache etc then I'd be running to the hospital. Just wondered what others thought about this?

Comments

• Options
    I've seen someone have one of those burst infront of me, it was quite frightening I must say. On the minor plus side, its painless for the person (although that really isnt any comfort at all).

As for whether I'd like to know, what would they do if I did have one? I guess taking blood thinners might be a good option.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I guess taking blood thinners might be a good option.
    No that would be a bad option!

I wouldn't want to know, but it depends if you're the sort of person that needs to find out everything about your family history and most likely cause of your demise.

What would you do with the information?

ps Glad your cousin's OK.
  • Options
    Thats the thing see, if they checked and found out you did have one, it'd be the worst thing in my opinion. Cos youd always be worrying. But then if u didnt no and it burst then ahhh! Dilemma much!
  • Options
    Its a year and a half now since I lost my Nan to a brain aneurysm, she didnt know she had one and from what ive been told it wasnt a plesent experience for my mum n uncle to find her.

I personally would want to know if I had one. I lost her and was told if she did wake up she would be serverly disabled, didnt stop me holding onto that hope of her coming round of course. We had to take the desciion to turn off her life support, I dont want my family having to do that again and so would want to know for assurances
  • Options
    A friend of mines mum died of a brain aneurysum a few months back. It was awful. but there isn't anything they can do for them is there really? either way you will be worrying
    but you deserve it.
  • Options
    Maffy wrote:
    A friend of mines mum died of a brain aneurysum a few months back. It was awful. but there isn't anything they can do for them is there really? either way you will be worrying
    but you deserve it.

Did i really just read that?
  • Options
    I...would want to know for assurances
    What assurance would you get from knowing? If it can't be treated, what possible advantage is there of finding out?

Maybe you could make sure your will is up to date, and the house is tidy but it wouldn't alter your chance of dying from it.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    No that would be a bad option!

Why not? I thought it was a minor blood clot in the brain, therefore thinners would be useful?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Why not? I thought it was a minor blood clot in the brain, therefore thinners would be useful?

Na, an aneurysm is a "bulging" part of an artery, with very thin walls and if it ruptures haemorrhages quite badly, so if you take anti-coags, you are going to increase the haemorrhage.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    Na, an aneurysm is a "bulging" part of an artery, with very thin walls and if it ruptures haemorrhages quite badly, so if you take anti-coags, you are going to increase the haemorrhage.

Ahh, I see, its the terms which are confusing me. I didnt see one of these then, I guess it was more like a stroke, it was a blood clot. Either way, it was nasty.
  • Options
    Maffy wrote:
    either way you will be worrying
    but you deserve it.

You really are pathetic.
  • Options
    Maffy wrote:
    but you deserve it.

Such a nice person. Just get a bloody life! :hyper:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    What assurance would you get from knowing? If it can't be treated, what possible advantage is there of finding out?

Maybe you could make sure your will is up to date, and the house is tidy but it wouldn't alter your chance of dying from it.

Because I know the affect losing someone so suddenly has on a family, I would want to be able to make the most of my life knowing that at anytime something could happen. Losing someone suddenly can completely break a family.

Its one of those things some people would want to know, others wouldnt.
  • Options
    Thats the thing see, if they checked and found out you did have one, it'd be the worst thing in my opinion. Cos youd always be worrying. But then if u didnt no and it burst then ahhh! Dilemma much!

If they found one would they take away your driver`s licence? (assuming you had one)
  • Options
    Because I know the affect losing someone so suddenly has on a family, I would want to be able to make the most of my life knowing that at anytime something could happen. Losing someone suddenly can completely break a family.
    But why not make the most of your life and family anyway? :confused: I don't follow the logic.
  • Options
    I think it depends on your view of life and whether your a pestimistic or optimistic.
  • Options
    I think it depends on your view of life and whether your a pestimistic or optimistic.
    I can understand some people wanting to know and others not wanting to know. It would be a relief to get the all-clear certainly. But I wouldn't want to know if I had one because it would either make me fatalistic, or it would have no effect on my life. I can't imagine a benefit of knowing that I had an untreatable brain aneurysm.
  • Options
    The only benefit is that if something happens as it did with my cousin you know you've gotta get to hospital.
  • Options
    True.