Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Faith based charities

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do people think about charities that are linked to a religion (eg. WorldVision, Troichra etc)?

If you don't agree with particular religious institutions would you not give to charities associated with it? Or would you donate money anyway because the money still does a good thing?

I always used to give to secular charities, but someone raised the point to me that some religious charities don't go out trying to convert people, it's just that in some contexts the religious element can help charities and those in need work with each other better. So in this respect, it seems stupid for me not to support this just because I personally don't agree with religious institutions.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    I've got a couple of small direct debits set up with a couple of charities, and when I first thought of donating I did my research and ensured my money wasn't going to go to any charities that intended to 'educate' or 'convert' folk or promote Christianity.

I don't have a problem with religion-based charities so long as 100% of the money and effort goes to providing food, shelter and help.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I think they can but cause problems, whilst mostly aiming to aid folks. I wouldn't mind if they didn't try to promote Christianity, but many of them do. And other religious charities do the same, no doubt.
  • Options
    They are like any charities, some do excellent work, others are not very effective and dont really help as much as they could.

I dont think even a hardcore atheist could argue with Christian Aid's work.
  • Options
    I guess you have to look at any charities methods and see whether you think that they are putting your money to good use. I wouldn't, for example, give money to an organisation that tries to stop the spread of HIV in Africa by promoting abstinance over sexual education and contreception, because I don't believe that this is the best way to achieve the goals. It just so happens that a lot of these charities are the Christian ones, but it's their methods rather than their religion which would stop me from donating to them.
  • Options
    Some are good, and some are there simply to promote their religion.

I think CAFOD do a lot of good work in the world, but they're catholic so in certain areas they are restricted in how they help people. Although I don't think doling out condoms works, because people don't use them in this country, let alone in other countries with a different social system.

People don't like to admit this, but if all the Africans were faithful to their wives and didn't do drugs then HIV would disappear in a generation or two.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Some are good, and some are there simply to promote their religion.

I think CAFOD do a lot of good work in the world, but they're catholic so in certain areas they are restricted in how they help people. Although I don't think doling out condoms works, because people don't use them in this country, let alone in other countries with a different social system.

People don't like to admit this, but if all the Africans were faithful to their wives and didn't do drugs then HIV would disappear in a generation or two.

Well of course doling out condoms doesn't work by itself. It has to be combined with effective sex education.

As for the second part of your post. Well of course HIV would disappear if everyone was faithful to their partners, but d'you really think that's gonna happen? Hey, we could wipe out teen pregnancy in this country with that thinking. Oh bugger, I've just started another debate....... :nervous:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Well yes, and if everyone was nice to everyone else there would be no thefts, frauds, assaults, rapes or murders and we would all live in harmony.

In the real world however we are faced with all kind of problems. Problems that need solutions, not unrealistic misguided idealism.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    In the real world we are faced with all kind of problems. Problems that need solutions, not unrealistic misguided idealism.

That's the one thing your good at Aladdin.
  • Options
    :Yawn:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Well yes, and if everyone was nice to everyone else there would be no thefts, frauds, assaults, rapes or murders and we would all live in harmony.

In the real world however we are faced with all kind of problems. Problems that need solutions, not unrealistic misguided idealism.
    But there are charities to deal with the social deprivation and inequality at the root of theft, fraud, assault etc, so why not one to reduce the spread of AIDS?

I think there is a difference between a charity based on religious ethics and morals (e.g. the Red Cross, Barnados, Christian Aid and many others) and those that are actual religious charities (e.g. the Bible Society, Church Mission Society etc.)

The former focus on humanitarian needs because of Christian principles, the latter focus on spiritual need because of Christian fervour.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    the latter focus on spiritual need because of Christian fervour.
    which is not always a bad thing.
    wife beaters and thieves are turned around ...addicts gret clean ...despite the fact many people in these forums see only mindwashing and contro;and fear in religion ...thats not the majority.
    faith based charities do some very much needed dsocial works ...saving people from themselves and others around them.
  • Options
    which is not always a bad thing.
    wife beaters and thieves are turned around ...addicts gret clean ...despite the fact many people in these forums see only mindwashing and contro;and fear in religion ...thats not the majority.
    faith based charities do some very much needed dsocial works ...saving people from themselves and others around them.
    Of course - that goes without saying. But if someone is opposed to Christianity - for whatever reason - they can still contribute to a charity based on Christian principles.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Of course - that goes without saying. But if someone is opposed to Christianity - for whatever reason - they can still contribute to a charity based on Christian principles.
    yup.
  • Options
    I can only speak from personal experience, but when I was in Bosnia the aid workers seemed to be disproportionately practicing Christians.

Religion sometimes gets a bad name with all evangelical who suggest you should beat your wife twice a day to drive the devil out, but mainstream Christians tend to hold to 'love thy neighbour' and seem more willing to practice it than atheists.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

The solution isn't to dole out condoms and say all will be well as long as you use a bit of rubber. They fail far more than people like to admit.

The Church's role is to set an ideal to live up to, of course. Whether it does or not (and the Catholic Church's new Hitler, sorry, Pope, doesn't) is largely irrelevant.

But this isn't the point.

I agree with what MR has said, basically. People who are practising Christians are often more willing to help, as are most other practising religious people.
  • Options
    The solution isn't to tell people not to use condoms either under the threat of eternal damnation, or to campaign politically against its distribution.

There is also the little issue of overpopulation. What are married couples supposed to do? Have as many children as God "wants to give them"? How are they going to feed them? Is the Vatican willing to sell a few billion dollars worth of treasure to contribute, perhaps?

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who tells Africans using condoms is wrong = cunt.