Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What do you make of this Japanese jet?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4325634.stm
BBC wrote:
The designers say that in 15 to 20 years time a 300-seat airliner could be flying as fast as the Anglo-French Concorde, which was taken out of service two years ago.

It makes you think doesn't it? I mean I'm not 100% sure but wasn't the concorde developed in the 70s? So 30 years from then is now, plus another 15 to 20 years, then we get an equivelent technology? In about half a century modern aviation technology has taken one step forward, two steps back. Of course there are other significant technological breakthroughs, but it's the pioneeringm the new and the bold things that should be noted. But then again, there are many, many technologies that would have been brilliant but that were never developed. IIRC there was a really petrol efficient engine but it was bought by the petrol companies or something :/ and has since never seen the light of day.

Comments

• Options
    Concorde was developed in the sixties originally, but started flying commercially in the 70s. It should have become clear what a magnificent engerring achievement it was when there was no replacement when it was taken out of service 30 years later.

Really, we should be very proud of that plane.

That said, it was an economic failure...
  • Options
    It is inconceivable that mankind had supersonic passenger travel in the 20th century but not in the 21st.

There will be a supersonic passenger jet again this century, but it will have to be a rather different approach from Concorde. As MoK rightly says that plane was simply a superb feat of engineering, but unfortunately also a very thirsty and noisy lady. That won't be allowed again so any future jets will have to be much quieter and fuel efficient. There is no reason why they can't be...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Rumour has it Tupolev are working on an economically viable supersonic passenger jet again.

Concorde shouldn't have gone, but no, it had to because the stupid French can't even clean their runways properly. I mean, how do you not notice a fecking huge piece of metal sitting on it?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Concorde shouldn't have gone, but no, it had to because the stupid French can't even clean their runways properly. I mean, how do you not notice a fecking huge piece of metal sitting on it?

It wasn't just that though, they had to have absically a plane full of passengers to make it worthwhile... and the tickets cost tonnes!

Bet you now though... anybody who's ever been on concorde will never forget it. It's one of those things people put in their all time list of things to do.

*regretful sigh* :(
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yeah, t'was one of my life's ambitions to go on concorde! :crying:

Damnit.

I'l jsut now have to save up, buy one, repair, maintain, and fuel it myself! Shit, im going to need money and power... time to take over the country! :chin: