Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Diabetes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Over the past few weeks I've realised I could possibly have the symptoms of diabetes. I am constantly thirsty, my mouth feels like it's dry and that I haven't had water in days... even though I just took a drink, and it is very definately moist. I need to go to the toilet with increasiny regularity, even if I just went 20mins ago. This gets worse around late-evening time.

I knew the above were syptoms of the condition, but doing an internet search I realised I may have more, such as the fact that I'm always tired, regardless of the amount of sleep I had the previous night. Also, within the last week, my vision can go blury for a few seconds, usualy just in one eye.

So, I'm pretty scared. I've been putting getting tested off, but now, after realising it just isn't going away, I have to do something. Also, a couple of unrelated people have suggested it too.

The thing is, being an 18 year old female who's BMI is fine for her height, I suspect that if I did have it, Type 2 wouldn't be the type I had. But then, I always thought people with Type 1 had it from childhood, which confuses me. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, are the free tests at Lloyd's Pharmacy any good? Or should I make an appointment with the doctor?

Thanks to anyone who replies. :)

Comments

• Options
    Doctor or pharmacy. You'd have to see your GP anyway even if you went to the pharmacy first though, so you may as well save yourself the time and just get an appointment with your GP.

ps You can get Type 1 diabetes (or insulin dependent diabetes) at any stage of life, but it is more commonly associated with children and young adults.
  • Options
    T1DM [Type 1] used to be called Juvenile-onset diabetes.. but was changed because more and more people are getting it later on in their life.

The test at Lloyds isn't and shouldnt be a diagnostic of Diabetes. Goto your doc and talk it over with him/her. They are the ones that can diagnose diabetes [and they will be the ones treating it anyway]. With your symptoms and some tests, they can make a diagnosis of diabetes.

Diabetes is a not necessarily a life-changing condition...but lets make sure you have it before you think about the future.

Make an appointment on Monday.
  • Options
    just get it tested then ure in safe hands . Good luck i hope u dont have it :thumb:
  • Options
    Probably be best to get checked out to put your mind at rest. You might want to read our factsheet too:

Diabetes

Good luck