Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For the past 3 years I've been getting tested for this. My TSH was never in the "normal" range but it was never bad enough to treat. At the end of two years ago it had returned to normal. They told me to get it tested again in 6 months. However I always felt normal and quite simply just forgot about it. But in the last six months I've had extreme symptoms again. It has such general symptoms that at the time I just assumed everything I was experiencing to be normal. I'm always tired, I cannot stay awake past 10pm hardley ever. I'm cold, all the time. I just freeze all day long no matter how warm it really is. I've gained weight and the worst one for me is my hair. I always assumed it was from dying it. But I have deep conditioner treatment biweekly and I always take such good care of my hair when I do color it. But it is extremly dry and brittle and my stylist was always shocked because of how well I treat it, but how damaged it is. When I wash my hair, after brushing my hands thru it a couple times just to get it wet, my hands are literally covered with hair. Not a few strands here and there, but covered. Not to long ago I got sick of the hair so I told my mom, she asked me about those other things I just mentioned then asked if I had had my thyroid tested recently, which I hadn't. She strongly earged me to as how badly I'm experiencing them, its very likely that my levels are way out of whack.
Now I do have an appt to get it tested next week. But I'm scared. I guess the whole point of this long post is just to ask others experience with this. If any. I just need some support. I'm only 20 and every single day I take 5 pills a day already, for the rest of my life. I dont want another one.

Comments

• Options
    Better a pill than an underactive thyroid for the rest of your life. See what the test says.
  • Options
    Has anybody suffered this before? I know this may sound really superficial, but I'm sick of my hair. I can deal with being cold and being tired, but when I have to clean out the bath and sink drains once a week and I leave my hair everywhere I go, it gets on my nerves. If I find out that I do need to start pilling, will these symptoms go away?
  • Options
    Hiya,

My Exs sister had an underactive thyroid - I'm not sure if it were the same specific diease as yours. Hers was so bad she ended up with a goiter and had to have her thyroid gland removed, she's on Thyroxine for the reset of her life also.

As far as I can tell her symptoms improved dramatically. The weight came off and she was less tired.
  • Options
    Hey,
    My mum has an underactive thyroid and her hair ofetn comes out massivly.She had her blood taken and found out casued by anaemia brought on by her underactivness.I dont know if this helps but maybe suggest it to your gp?
  • Options
    Was it something I did or didn't do, could I have somehow prevented this by being more healthy?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Was it something I did or didn't do, could I have somehow prevented this by being more healthy?
    No, and you will feel better once on treatment (if that's what it is).
  • Options
    I have an underactive thyroid and am on thyroxine, i'm also 20 and i'll have to take them for the rest of my life.
  • Options
    Couple more questions, so I have the appt tomorrow and then I know it will be a couple days before they get my results and I can get in and talk to the doc again, but say it is out of whack and I need to go on meds, from those with experience, about how long did it take for the sympotms to go away? Like every strand of hair I have breaking and falling out and the weight to come off and such. And also, what are common side effects with the meds they would give me?
  • Options
    I've got my appt later today. Since I've never had it done here they made me make a drs appt before the blood work. Theres nothing they can really do until they get the results of the test, eh. I found out from my dad today that my mother, my grandmother and my great grand mother all suffer from the same thing, I guess it was only a matter of time :p
  • Options
    I got my results today actually. Quicker than I expected. Although its high, its still considered normal. So they want me to come back in three months just to check it again. If everything is so normal why am I always tired? Why can I rarely stay awake later than 10pm? Why is my hair so discusting and dry and brittle? I take such good care if it. I get it cut every month and a half. I condition it, I do everything. But it falls out at such an extreme rate. The doctor didn't have an answer for me, because all they checked was the tyhroid. Is there something else this could be? Is there something else I should look into maybe?