Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Moving out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
At the moment I am trying to find a flat so that I can move out. But as well as the rent what kind of things do I have to consider paying for?

Comments

• Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    At the moment I am trying to find a flat so that I can move out. But as well as the rent what kind of things do I have to consider paying for?

Poll tax
    Council Tax
    Electricity
    Water
    Food
    Heating
    Furniture
    Cleaning stuff for your house

Lots. Flatshare all the way, baby!
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    Poll tax
    Council Tax
    Electricity
    Water
    Food
    Heating
    Furniture
    Cleaning stuff for your house

Lots. Flatshare all the way, baby!

AND A DEPOSIT/RENT IN ADVANCE FOR THE HOUSE.

Capitals are for emphasism.
  • Options
    theres no such thing as poll tax : Also

Telephone
    Internet
    TV License
    Digital TV?
    Moving Van
  • Options
    One of that flats that I am looking at is a flat share and the other is a bedsit and they are both fully furnished. Are bedsits any good?
  • Options
    :S not really no, it depends what your after, the best idea when it comes to moving out is moving in with 3 mates that you trust. Its not always the easiest thing to organise but you can then get a 4 bedroom house on rent for almost as cheap as a bedsit.

Bedsit really is last resort.

Whatever you decide go and see the place first. Do your research and ask loads of questions! Which agent were you thinking of going with? Although they are cheap Duchy Estates are awful!!
  • Options
    I dont think the digitl tv and a home telephone is a neccesity at least not to begin with

And internet. And there is such a thing as poll tax, my parents bitch about it all the time.
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    And there is such a thing as poll tax, my parents bitch about it all the time.

Council tax!

:grump:
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    Council tax!

:grump:

Poll tax/Council tax, either way they hate all thing associated with tax :razz:
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    Poll tax/Council tax, either way they hate all thing associated with tax :razz:

Mmm... hence the :grump:

Luckily my flat is band A, though (cheapest, but not cheap :grump: again)
  • Options
    Dont forget food. And gas. And not necessairly paying, but check out parking. I once lived in a place with the worst parking situation ever and it really did hinder alot of things.
  • Options
    Sometimes you can get all inclusive flats which is so much less hassle because...its all inclusive. they are hard to find, but they are around if you look good.

With regards to bedsits, they can be ok, but they are usually tiny, crameped and have like a little kitchnette thingy. Better to do the flatshare thing really.
    Studio apartments cost more but at least you get loads of room, if they are advertised as spacious.
  • Options
    chan-chan wrote:
    Studio apartments cost more but at least you get loads of room, if they are advertised as spacious.

Oh thats not fair, before I moved in with my guy I was looking at appts and studios were by far the cheapest but unless you got some ungodly expensive they were all the size of a closet :p damn builders here!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Oh thats not fair, before I moved in with my guy I was looking at appts and studios were by far the cheapest but unless you got some ungodly expensive they were all the size of a closet :p damn builders here!
    Thats what I am saying...if they are advertised as spacious. Some of them are advitised as small.
  • Options
    Cristal wrote:
    Telephone

But if you have a mobile phone, you won't need a telephone, surely?
  • Options
    insurance, just contents if you're renting, but still a fair whack out of the paycheck.

also bear in mind that your weekly shop will be a bit more, cause you'll have to pay for stupid annoying things like bin bags and loo cleaner.
  • Options
    chan-chan wrote:
    Thats what I am saying...if they are advertised as spacious. Some of them are advitised as small.
    :lol: do they really advertise as small? oh that would be funny to see. Studio Appt for rent "like living in your own fridge"
    I've seen "spacious" ones that were smaller than my living room!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    :lol: do they really advertise as small? oh that would be funny to see. Studio Appt for rent "like living in your own fridge"
    I've seen "spacious" ones that were smaller than my living room!
    I know, its silly, but I have seen advertisments which say something like "small compact, neat" studios and that's what u get really.
  • Options
    Gas aswell as electric.
  • Options
    I see no one has mentioned security as well.

thieves might be keeping an eye on your flat and once you`re all moved in .. they`re ready to help move your stuff for you .. :thumb:

Someone we know moved in and was going back and forth between the old place and the new one and inbetween thieves stolen a lot of their stuff
  • Options
    Food, mobile phone topup, cigs, alcohol, going places.

Just play it by year and see how it goes, that's what i'm doing.
  • Options
    Taxes.

Gas, Electricity, water, phone, internet, tv license.

Bits of furniture for your flat/house

General repairs if you own a place

Food

Cleaning products

Pots, pans and other kitchen related items

Electical goods if you have none and want them.

Different transport costs from where you are now.
  • Options
    dunno if it still applies but if you have to share a toilet with another flat and you have to move through their flat to get to it then it's the Landlords responsibility to pay the council tax!
  • Options
    <Sam><Sam> Deactivated Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    There's a few articles on this section of TheSite.org that might help you out..

:)