Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I want :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Every once in a while I get sick of looking like crap. Usually after repeated weeks of my fiance, sadly the only person I really hang out with, teling me how crappy I always look. And I do. 99% of all my clothes are jeans and t-shirts. The shirts aren't bad looking but they are all solid coloured. Slightly fitted, girl shirts or alot of just baggy looking things. My feet are wide and any shoes that arent sneakers hurt my feet, though i love sneakers they aren't always cute, though I do get some cool ones. I'm lazy and I hate my hair so I just always tie it back. And probably the biggest thing, nearly everything I see, especially on here and just magazines are fucking ugly and I'd never wear it. My make up is very plain too. Very light blush, brown eyeliner brown mascara neutral eyeshadow, the only thing going for me is my lipgloss. What I need is help. But I flat out dont look good. The best way to describe me is disshelved. Disshelved sloppy and ugly.

I'm bad at putting on make up so when I do try stuff it turns out like crap and I'm extremly too poor to just go out and buy new clothes. Even cheap new clothes. I cannot afford it.

Comments

• Options
    i think i know what your going through...i went through it a while back, then my mum started dressing me in nice tops (shirts/blouses) and proper trousers/skirts.

what i do now is save up and every month by a couple of things.

i also hate most of the clothes that high street shops sell, and i sympathise with you living in the states, all the clothes seem preppy/skanky, which i hate...but if you wad through the junk you can usually find some nice stuff.

Just a suggestion, why dont you have a look in forever21 (if you have one nearby) they have a large selection of clothes which are very VERY reasonable :)

ETA: Always ALWAYS ALWAYS shop in sales!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Every once in a while I get sick of looking like crap. Usually after repeated weeks of my fiance, sadly the only person I really hang out with, teling me how crappy I always look. And I do. 99% of all my clothes are jeans and t-shirts. The shirts aren't bad looking but they are all solid coloured. Slightly fitted, girl shirts or alot of just baggy looking things. My feet are wide and any shoes that arent sneakers hurt my feet, though i love sneakers they aren't always cute, though I do get some cool ones. I'm lazy and I hate my hair so I just always tie it back. And probably the biggest thing, nearly everything I see, especially on here and just magazines are fucking ugly and I'd never wear it. My make up is very plain too. Very light blush, brown eyeliner brown mascara neutral eyeshadow, the only thing going for me is my lipgloss. What I need is help. But I flat out dont look good. The best way to describe me is disshelved. Disshelved sloppy and ugly.

I'm bad at putting on make up so when I do try stuff it turns out like crap and I'm extremly too poor to just go out and buy new clothes. Even cheap new clothes. I cannot afford it.

Well first off, why do you think it's alright for your fiance to tell you you look crappy? :mad:
    We all go through stages of feeling like shit, I've just started uni and every other girl is a fabulous looking creature wearing Ambercrombie and Tommy Hilfigger, but that doesn't mean I can't afford to look decent. Am I going to stop buying food to buy £60 t shirts just to please others? :no:
    Do you have a part time job? There has to be affordable shopping centres near you, book an appointment with a fashion consultant (these are normally free of charge) and ask them to pick out some items of clothing you think you'd feel comfortable wearing.

As for make up, I sort of see this as armour against the world. I could have the worst break out in the history of teenage horror stories but if I stick on decent make up (which can be pricey, but brands like MAC and Bobbi Brown are worth it) then I don't feel so hideously troll like.

It sounds to me like you just don't know how to go about getting some self confidence. The clothes shouldnt make the person, but they do give off a non verbal impression about your personality. Start with little things at a time, buy a hair magazine or look online - there has to be shit loads of websites on hair styles, pick one you like and bring it to your hairdresser.

In time you'll find a happier person will probably attract others, so you won't only be left with your sensitive fiance for company.

Hope that helped a bit.
  • Options
    almost all of my clothes are jeans and tshirts too, unless its summer in which case its skirts and tshirts/vests. Theres nothing wrong with that.
    I agree with scytherchick saying your bf shouldnt be telling you that you look crap. Thats not very nice.
    You have to feel comfortable in what you wear otherwise whats the point?
  • Options
    i agree with rainbowbrite, he shouldn't be telling you you look crap! and also, like she says it's how you feel comfortable.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    comfort over style every time

I feel that way too, but you can be comfortable and still look better than a psychotic bag lady.

And yes, I do have a job, however I only make 1600 a month. I have bills and I owe my parents and I have a vacation coming up I really need a new car. I really dont have an extra penny for clothes.
  • Options
    could you maybe just afford a few accessories, they can make an outfit look really different.
  • Options
    Quite possibly. Any ideas? Anything is better than plainer than a white wall. Or hair ideas? I have very thick and hard to style damaged messy wavy hair. I just tie it back evey day.
  • Options
    I used to wear baggy jeans and logo t-shirts all the time, but I got bored of not standing out, so now I basically wear things to the shops that most of my mates regard as 'party clothes'. Sequinned tops, high-heels, etc. Makes me feel good.

Bout the hair - why don't you get highlights? They make an amazing difference, even if you're only shoving your hair into a ponytail.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I used to wear baggy jeans and logo t-shirts all the time, but I got bored of not standing out, so now I basically wear things to the shops that most of my mates regard as 'party clothes'. Sequinned tops, high-heels, etc. Makes me feel good.

Bout the hair - why don't you get highlights? They make an amazing difference, even if you're only shoving your hair into a ponytail.

Oh I hate highlights. But I could always try a tempory, right? My hair is dark red/brown, what color?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I feel that way too, but you can be comfortable and still look better than a psychotic bag lady.

And yes, I do have a job, however I only make 1600 a month. I have bills and I owe my parents and I have a vacation coming up I really need a new car. I really dont have an extra penny for clothes.

1600 a month is a hell of a lot of money to take home a month. I agree with the others about your boyfriend. A few new accessories sounds like a good idea. Maybe a belt or some earrings? They can change an outfit
  • Options
    i think she might mean $, might be wrong though. works out at about £860 a month i think.
  • Options
    i think she might mean $, might be wrong though. works out at about £860 a month i think.

you are correct
  • Options
    if you already have damaged looking hair, then maybe getting it highlighted isn't a good idea..especially if you'd be having blonde bits put in. but then again it might make your hair look healthier. maybe use some intensive leave in conditioning treatment once a week or something to see if it makes your hair look nicer? sometimes someone's haircut/colour can make a real difference.
  • Options
    I sometimes have periods where I feel like I wear the same crappy stuff all the time. The best thing that I do is buy a couple of really usual tops or accessories that I know nobody else will have. It makes me feel really good cos I know that I'm being a bit different and usually gets you a few nice compliments. I find the best places to shop for something different are vintage shops or thrift stores. You can pick up some really nice vintage jewellery usually not too expensive or a really nice usual bag or something that can be teamed with stuff you already have but gives it a new look.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I used to wear baggy jeans and logo t-shirts all the time, but I got bored of not standing out, so now I basically wear things to the shops that most of my mates regard as 'party clothes'. Sequinned tops, high-heels, etc. Makes me feel good

i can't do that, with my nicer clothes i tend to think oooh no lucy, can't wear that today might need to wear it tomorrow! i seem to forget that they can be washed.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Quite possibly. Any ideas? Anything is better than plainer than a white wall. Or hair ideas? I have very thick and hard to style damaged messy wavy hair. I just tie it back evey day.
    Don't get anything too drastic cos it'll involved styling and that's just long. What face shape have you got? I can help with what hairstyle you need if i know what your face shape is.
  • Options
    dont get none of those crappy 80's hairstyle or dual hair colour. IT IS SO PASSE! go for classy! be chic.
  • Options
    i can't do that, with my nicer clothes i tend to think oooh no lucy, can't wear that today might need to wear it tomorrow! i seem to forget that they can be washed.

lmao i'm totally the same, i think oh yes i like that top, but no it's nice why waste it on today! And then of course i never end up wearing it :p
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    lmao i'm totally the same, i think oh yes i like that top, but no it's nice why waste it on today! And then of course i never end up wearing it :p

...so i just end up wearing the same old. :(:lol:
  • Options
    I live in jeans and t shirts too, there's no point me getting all dolled up every day when all I'm going to do is clean, cook and look after messy kids. I find the main thing that prevents me from looking like a psychotic bag lady is a half decent haircut, which I go and have done about every couple of months. That and, if I've got time in the morning, a tiny bit of make up, not a lot. Just a bit of powder so I don't shine so much, a tiny bit of blusher so I don't look so anaemic, a flick of mascara and a smear of lipgloss.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    A new haircut could be a good start if it isn't in the best condition, why don't you see if you can go to a salon and be a hair model? If you look around you can usually find highly qualified stylists & colourists who are practising thelatest techniques, and it shouldn't cost very much at all. Its a good way to instantly feel better.
  • Options
    if you already have damaged looking hair, then maybe getting it highlighted isn't a good idea..especially if you'd be having blonde bits put in. but then again it might make your hair look healthier. maybe use some intensive leave in conditioning treatment once a week or something to see if it makes your hair look nicer? sometimes someone's haircut/colour can make a real difference.

my hair was extremely damaged from straightening, so I had about 3" cut off and a full head of highlights. didn't damage my hair too much, seeing as I'd had all the split ends chopped off, and it meant no more straightening as my hair finally looked nice when put up, whether fancily curled or just in a bun. so my hairs getting a chance to grow and relax :D. can cost quite a bit of money, though, as you'll need to get them re-done every 2 months.
  • Options
    well start by telling your bf that if he says another bad word about you you're getting a new one!
    Clothes-Tee-shirts and jeans are fine thats what everyone wears.If you want to brighten them up,get one or two jackets/jumpers that you can wear with almost everything(eg-a sequinny bolero usually goes the trick for me!)Also nice scarves,brooches,etc can make a big,yet inexpensive difference.The personel shopper is a good idea too!Anything free take it!

hair-If its damaged it needs to be cut.Talk to your hairdresser about potential colours to dye it,and start to do a weekly/bi-weekly intense condition.When its get a bit repaired consider investing in a straightener(not to use everyday though!)also if your hair is wavy you can probably curl it-curlers and moose are very cheap and can transform a look!

makeup-since you dopn't wear much,I'm assuming you have good skin.If its less then perfect,get a good foundation,its definately worth it.MAC is brill.Treat youself to a makeover in MAC,or somewhere similer.They're free,and can really help when choosing new colours to try,and learing how to apply correctly.Also red lipstick can work miracles in the right shade-and theres one for everyone!Talk to a make-up artist to find one that suits you!

You need to start believing in youself and stop listening to your crappy boyfriend.Its obvious he's completely destroyed your confidence(sorry,I don't want to sound mean!)If he loved you he wouldn't say you look horrible.I doubt HE'S perfect!Start to rebuild your confidence,maybe take up a class(like painting or cooking-whatever) so you meet new people,and consider a self-help book!Also,If you're changing your look,make sure its for you and not for him!Best of luck!