Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The media

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've noticed on several occasions that almost everyone I am around are influenced by the media in some way. Some people read the morning newspaper on the bus and other simply get false information from other sources. What I am trying to say is that at my age, 14, almost everybody are influenced by computer games and so on. They later take it so incredibly seriously that it affects them in their school work. I saw on one of my friend's physics assignment concerning equilibrium, piece of cake. What the problem is he wrote according to sparknotes found on the net. He was automatically failed and the teacher is now keeping a special eye on his work.

Do you think this problem should be discussed with students before they learn it the hard way or let it be? It's a stomach hit when you are failed when using other sources on the net. His assignment was not incorrect, but you should use the textbook we used. My friend's excuse was that the book was hard to undertand and it was not pedagogical enough. He was told to ask the teacher if he had any problems.

Comments

• Options
    That seems tough - if his work was correct he should be applauded for doing his own research and looking wider than the text books
  • Options
    Holy crap, you're 14??? :eek:

Perhaps your friend copied what was on Sparknotes rather than paraphrasing it. Plagurism gets an automatic fail. or maybe what he wrote wasn't detailed enough, or he misinterpritted it, or wrote things out of context?
  • Options
    Nope, the teacher classified it as plagiarism and has told the person repeatedly that physics is not going wider than is necessary.
  • Options
    Well if it's plagurism then it isn't his own work, but he copied it.
  • Options
    Well he necessarily did not copy, but answered the question not like the book wanted you to answer. He went on further about the subject which was not the intention of the assignment.

So it isn't plagierism, but it was something else :D