Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Chemical Straightening

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
okay, so im planning on dying my hair on my own, gettin a hairdresser to put some colour highlights in it over the next month or so. I'm also tempted to get my hair chemically straightened whilst im over here as it is rather cheap. however i've a few questions which i wont be able to ask the hairdresser as im not that skilled in chinese yet.

if you have your hair chemically straightened, can you style it curly/wavy without ruining the look? or even jus giving it body?

how damaging is chemically straightening your hair? i currently have really good quality hair, and don't particularily want to damage it that much. im not even sure if i want to have it done, cos i dont use my straighteners very often... so any info would be appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Chemical straightening damages your hair. You can't get away from that bit, unfortunately.

Also, you certainly don't want to be dying your hair and chemically staightening it all in one sitting, your hair won't like that at all.

The point of chemically straightened hair is that it's straight permanently. Why would you go through all the bother and damage of chemically straightening, just to make it curly again???

Ilora x
  • Options
    yay now there is 2 of us but ur getting all ur hair done?
  • Options
    ooh sorry i didnt make it clear im not planning on doing it in one sitting, i wana do it like over a long time. i wasnt even sure i wanted it done!

colouring and using irons also damages your hair, i was just wondering how much more damage chemically doing would cause. i think i'll just go for the colour, and not bother with the straightening.

nah rss i want just a few coloured streaks done. not sure what colour yet. my hair's gonna be dark brown when ive died it so something that goes with that.
  • Options
    I got my done it one setting but my colour was just a shoeshine so it wasnt that major. Chemical straightening is good bu didnt work great on my hair because i wasnt willing to keep redoing it over and over again to get the best results. If you do get it done dont wash it for the first few days or else you can lose the quality of it and be prepared to put up with the most awful smell ever.

If you want it done cheap look for a quality hairdressers that does student stylist days, got mine cut, coloured and cs by a trainee for just £10 and it was quality.
  • Options
    well im currently in china which would do it all for actually about half what you paid. but the whole chemical straightening don't really appeal to me anymore so i think im jus gonna get the colour. if i can work out how to tell them!
  • Options
    The yuku system of hair straitenign is really good and it doesnt damage your hair, infact it makes it better because its smoother. You can curl it cos the process breaks the bonds in the hair to make it straight. You can colour it tho. The Yuku system is really expensive but its good and lasts for months until the regrowth comes back