Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ecg?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Due to getting regular and in regular i mean 9/10 hours of the day palpatations the GP has asked me to go for a ECG.

All i know is an ECG looks at your heart rate or something. Can anyone tell me what actually happens?

Many thanks as Im really worried about it!

Comments

• Options
    I had a few tests done on my heart last year, and I'm pretty sure the ECG was one where they stuck some sensor things on my chest and got me to stand up and sit down while they measured my heart rate.
    Nothing to worry about having done, just standing topless in an empty room for 15-30 mins with wires glued to you, then doing the same sitting down. Take something to read.
  • Options
    An ECG is where they stick 10 electrodes to you, one on each limb and 6 across your chest and round your heart. These electrodes are attached to wires which feed information about the electical activity in your heart, to a machine. The machine basically gives a printout of this activity and allows doctors to see if there is anything out of the ordinary with your heart rate etc. It normally takes no longer than 5 minutes, and with a normal ECG you will be asked to lay, on a bed, very still (with your top off) until the reading is taken as movement interferes with the reading.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/examinations/ecg.htm

Hope this site helps...good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    Topless? So you can just wear like a vest top or tankini type top? Or even a bra?

Oh man!
  • Options
    Yes, you can wear a bra! Obviously the doctor needs to be able to stick the pads (even less sticky than a plaster, don't hurt at all) to somewhere near your heart, but as long as they can get to where they need to, you'll be alright - just don't wear a big thick jumper and refuse to remove it! ;)

I've had a couple.. Like I said, they don't hurt at all, you can't even feel anything happening. You just sit there and they switch a machine on and take readings through the sticky pads, which have wires attached.

When I had mine, for palpitations like you, my problem was that my heart rate was normal when they took the readings and racing, seemingly, anytime I wasn't at the docs! So mine didn't prove anything :(
  • Options
    I had to take my bra off when i had one done...but i think that was only because it was underwired one...so as long as you dont wear one of those you should be fine leaving your bra on ;)
  • Options
    Doesn't the one for the brain work in the same way?
  • Options
    ^ That's EEG. Google it.
  • Options
    i had to take my bra off - it's so they can get one right on your heart or something - was mortified at the time but now it's like ahh whatever
  • Options
    i have had a ecg a few times, mine were just coz i was at a&e (aparritly they do it to everyone) just stuck 10 (i think) on my chest and had them on for about 15 mins, didn't hurt abit. i could leave my bra on
  • Options
    If it is a 12 lead ECG, then it will be 10 Biotabs.. I have seen as little as three electrodes being used.
  • Options
    Thanks to you all, im really nervous about it, not sure why but hey, guess its more what they might find wrong.

Thanks to you all knowing what its like is helping me, i hate the unknown so cheers guys and girls