Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

how long before chlamydia does damage??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have suddenly got paranoid i have chlamydia, found out my ex had slept with someone during a break and the jonny split (shes a whore), if i had it i would have had it for over a year now, will i have done myself lasting damage?? Cant find any info anywhere on how long you have to have it before bad things start happening....im shitting it....

Comments

• Options
    http://www.thesite.org.uk/sexandrelationships/safersex/sexualhealth/chlamydia

And get yourself checked out at your local GUM clinic just to maek sure - no use in being paranoid over nothing.
  • Options
    Hiya
    The only way you can ease your mind is to get tested. The problem with chlamydia is that often there are no symptoms, so the only way to tell is to go to your GP or a GUM clinic.

Read these articles first to help you get used to the idea:

Have I got an STI

Visiting a GUM clinic

Good luck :)
  • Options
    hey, thanks for answering, i know i have to go to the GUM clinic, booking myself an appoinment quick as i can, i know i can ask the question when im there but bearing in mind if i did have it i would have had it for over a year, am i now in the time scale to have seriously damaged my insides?? (know all about it now, been on a 100 websites about it, they all tell you what the symptoms (or lack of) are, and what the effects can be if left untreated, but none tell you how long it must go untreated for this to happen) Cant get to a clinic for at least two weeks, dont want to have to wait that long to find out if ive scarred my insides :s
  • Options
    With Sti's like Chlamydia, its not necessarily the time span you've had it for but more, the amount of times you've come in contact with it.
  • Options
    When you go to the GUM, make sure you ask about this. I know you prob will be a bit nervous and wanna get it over and done with but use the time to ease your worries-do this before they check and who knows they may be abe to help further. Seriously I asked for advice on thrush (damned bloody yeasty buggers keep causing me grief!) and the nurse practically gave me a presentation! The nurse will tell you in plain simple english and won't patronise you or make you feel bad.

Make sure you get checked out and you probably won't have it-although if you do, at least you know now and not waited longer.
  • Options

Chlamydia, A disease you don't know that you have, with no symptons that disapears with a short course of medication.

In my opinon, A fictional disease to encourage people to visit their health care nurses to keep them in jobs! : )
  • Options
    Loopdaloop wrote:
    In my opinon, A fictional disease to encourage people to visit their health care nurses to keep them in jobs! : )

Because most nurses and healthcare workers are sitting around on their arses twiddling their thumbs?

If you're trying to be funny, start another thread on it, not a serious one where someone is really concerned about their future fertility.

Playboy - I have seen several people at the clinic who Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, and they still managed to become pregnant after that. Take each step as it comes and good luck :)
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Because most nurses and healthcare workers are sitting around on their arses twiddling their thumbs?

If you're trying to be funny, start another thread on it, not a serious one where someone is really concerned about their future fertility.

If shes that worried she should get herself straight down the clinic : )

Personally I do believe that most nurses and healthcare workers have better things to do, which is why I believe that these tests should be made available over the counter to save everyone a lot of worry and time.
  • Options
    Personally I do believe that most nurses and healthcare workers have better things to do,

Such as? Taking a chlamydia swab is pretty much the same process as swabs for cervical smears, and other swabbing, whether it's from the urethra or vagina. Taking chlamydia swabbing off the list doesn't eradicate the need for the other stuff, as tedious as looking through a speculum might be.
    I believe that these tests should be made available over the counter to save everyone a lot of worry and time.

There are DIY kits available from some GPs. But the chlamydia result isn't the most sensitive, and we often get equivocal results back.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Such as? Taking a chlamydia swab is pretty much the same process as swabs for cervical smears, and other swabbing, whether it's from the urethra or vagina. Taking chlamydia swabbing off the list doesn't eradicate the need for the other stuff, as tedious as looking through a speculum might be.

There are DIY kits available from some GPs. But the chlamydia result isn't the most sensitive, and we often get equivocal results back.

sorry. :blush:
    I'd just like the tests easily available, being a male, I'd be too embaressed/shy to ever get myself tested.

None of my friends have got around to going either.

(i'm 22 as well which makes this worse) :blush:
  • Options
    The test can also be performed by getting a urine sample, but I don't know how effective it is against swabbing. As for the embarrassment factor - the people who swab at GUM clinics do it for a living, and if you're worried, they'd soon be able to put you at ease. If you've been having unprotected sex with someone, and you don't know if they've had a clean bill of health, then it's vital you get yourself checked out - especially as infections can have consequences for future fertility.

Visiting a GUM clinic
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    The test can also be performed by getting a urine sample, but I don't know how effective it is against swabbing.

Visiting a GUM clinic

My doc obviously thinks it's just as effective. I'm getting a coil fitted next week so had to have a test for chlamydia before having it fitted, but she just did the urine test to save me having to go through the hassle of the swabs.
  • Options
    Go_Away, do you work in a GUM clinic?? Is a year long enough to have complications??
  • Options
    No, I work for an abortion provider, but we also screen for chlamydia.

I honestly wouldn't be able to answer any questions for you because every person is different. As I said previously, I've seen clients who had the more complicated PID and they were able to concieve after that, and the women who tested positive for chlamydia were pregnant at the time. Take each step as it comes.