Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Funny Sleeping Patterns

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've never been one to fall asleep early but just lately I can't get to sleep until about half one in the morning - no matter what I try, I just don't hit that heavy-eyes stage til 1.30/2am. I have to be at work for nine and although it doesn't take long to get to work (can leave the house at quarter to nine), I have real trouble in waking up and motivating myself to get out of bed before about half eight!

I admit I'm stressed with work, but it's not a dread-going-to-work feeling that's preventing me getting out of bed - I'm just "too tired to move"!! Come three in the afternoon, I'm shattered and nearly asleep at my desk.

Any ideas what I can do to get to sleep earlier? I've tried hot baths and milky drinks. I'm going to start walking in the evenings for a bit of fresh air too.

Comments

• Options
    <Sam><Sam> Deactivated Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    Hi Christal Tipps

This article might give you a few pointers - hope it works!
  • Options
    Don't watch TV or play the computer last thing at night. I have the same problem as you - can't fall asleep until late (earlier than you though) and have trouble getting up in the morning...
  • Options
    I got some sleeping pattern problems atm..I slept for 16 hours ( consequently missing college ) and all day have still been shattered, its probably something to do with the concussion I sustained at the weekend...but its been 3-4 days now..been sleeping during the afternoon and then going to bed at midnight and not waking till at least 10-11am !
    I have come to smoking a joint bout 15 minutes before I decide I wanna go to bed, and minimalising drinking tea/coke and going on the computer!
  • Options
    Anyone else find that they wake up at really random times (like 1am) or is that just me? I found that Sunday night even though I'd gone to bed just before 10pm...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I often wake up at random times during the night, but usually it's because I need to go to the bathroom.
  • Options
    Maybe if you work on your morning routine it might help with your evening one, perhaps you could try getting up slightly earlier, perhaps leave the curtains open to help with this, make sure you have fresh air circulating the room, make sure you drink plenty of water in the morning and have a slow burning breakfast like porridge, have a shower and maybe try having a walk in the morning before work, then during your lunch break go out and get some fresh air make sure you drink plenty all day. Hopefully if you regulate your mornings, your evenings will become more stable.

I find reading puts me to sleep easily, it makes my eyes so heavy and tired, so perhaps try that, also if you have a lot on your mind make sure you write it down before you try to sleep as that can keep you awake for ages.

If the problem persists you should speak to your GP.
  • Options
    Well I usually go to bed around 11.30-12 and wake up around 7.30-8.00
    But I have found recently I have been waking up at around 1.30am and 4.30am...its very very wierd..but I have had a lot of stress recently, on relationship and work related which is probably the cause..!
  • Options
    Mekhi wrote:
    Well I usually go to bed around 11.30-12 and wake up around 7.30-8.00
    But I have found recently I have been waking up at around 1.30am and 4.30am...its very very wierd..but I have had a lot of stress recently, on relationship and work related which is probably the cause..!
    Yeah thats definately the cause stress can cause so many problems, hope you can resolve them soon, and get back to sleeping well!
  • Options
    I've had bad sleeping patterns for many years now. At stressful times i.e. right now where I start uni for the first time Saturday and I'm anxious, then I'm awake to rotten hours of the morning.

Recommedations by my GP, who after 2 blood tests decided this was a solution, was to read before I go to bed, watch a little tv, lay off the computer in the evening, refrain for eating a lot after 7.30pm...just little things that force you to wind down. He suggested just resting, even just so your body can relax and it should ease you into sleep.

As for odd times waking up, I can't help you there - I had a pattern of 2am then 5am...it's a sod but I never found a solution, it tended to just break up to a normal nights sleep after a while.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Neck a couple of JD's before bed. That sorts me out.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    I often wake up at random times during the night, but usually it's because I need to go to the bathroom.

I wake up during the night even when I don't need the toilet...
  • Options
    :lol:

Im sure it does!
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Neck a couple of JD's before bed. That sorts me out.
    ^ sorry... that was for Skive.
  • Options
    When you get in from work, exercise MAJORLY!! That'll soon tire you out and you will want your bed and sleep as soon as! :thumb:
  • Options
    Thanks for your suggestions :) I'll try some of them and hopefully I'll be able to get up in the mornings!

Last night, I went out for tea with a friend and talked for three hours (no drinking, I was driving). That must have tired me out cos I went to bed at eleven (early for me) and slept right thru to ten to nine this morning. So I was late for work, but at least I got lots of sleep! :)
  • Options
    I swear I'm worse now than I was a few nights ago - sleeping from about 11pm and being awake from about 5am...