Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Murdoch: 'Blair Attacked BBC Over Katrina Coverage'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story

Rupert Murdoch has said that Blair has criticised the BBC's coverage as impartial and 'full of hate' for the USA. In my eyes there wasn't any but I'm sure others will disagree.

However my point is, is how can Murdoch criticise anyone about impartial media coverage while his scummy little rag has done it's best to demonise certain groups of people ay?

Comments

• Options
    He also said the BBC was "government-owned". Surely the two allegations are mutually exlcusive?

He's just trying to sell more papers.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    In my eyes there wasn't any but I'm sure others will disagree.

The complaint was referring to BBC World Service I believe. The BBC’s domestic coverage and World Service reporting do vary quite considerably. And I’m guessing your opinion is based on the BBC’s domestic service.

It’s difficult to make direct contrasts but compare the BBC’s coverage of Hurricane Katrina with their coverage of the 2003 heat wave in France In both countries many people died - in part due to government incompetence. In terms of numbers what happened in France was worse yet I don't remember the BBC being at all critical.

Comparing the BBC to privately owned media like the stuff Murdoch owns is irrelevant. Nobody is forced to support the Sun, Sky News and the Times financially. Anybody that owns a TV has to fund the BBC. If you don’t like the bias of the Times you can buy another newspaper, etc. If you don’t like the BBC you still have to pay for it. And Murdoch doesn't claim that his media is impartial, the BBC claims itself to be neutral. Obviously only the most naive believe that but the BBC continue to push that lie...

Edited.
  • Options

Not just Blair though, Clinton too said of the report containing "nothing factually inaccurate"

I read that as Clinton saying that the BBC reporting didn't contain any factual innacuracies, i.e. refuting Blair's alleged comments.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I read that as Clinton saying that the BBC reporting didn't contain any factual innacuracies, i.e. refuting Blair's alleged comments.

Oops. :eek2: Tired and hungover, never helps.

I think I skim-read it and saw the bit about Clinton who
    said it was designed "almost exclusively" to criticise the Bush administration's response to the crisis.
    and didn't read the rest properly.
  • Options
    I didn't see any major problems with the BBC's reporting. If anything, they didn't go far enough in questioning what went on.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I didn't see any major problems with the BBC's reporting. If anything, they didn't go far enough in questioning what went on.

Perhaps - the main problem I see is that I think if this had happened in France or somewhere in Europe the BBC would not have been as critical. I know it's a while ago now but the reporting of the French heatwave in which thousands died was nowhere near as critical. And the French government there could like the US govt with Katrina have done more.
  • Options
    I don't think the 2 situations are comparable.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I don't think the 2 situations are comparable.

Why not?

One was a natural disaster, the other a heat wave was too a natural phenomenon.

In both cases government incompetence clearly worsened the situation. Can’t you see that?
    the French Parliament released a harshly worded report blaming the deaths on a complex health system, widespread failure among agencies and health services to coordinate efforts, and chronically insufficient care for the elderly.
    The heat wave swept across much of Europe, but the death toll was far higher in France than in any other country.

Would the French elderly who died in residential homes have died if they had air-con?
  • Options
    The pound, the dollar, the yen, the euro.

These ladies and gentlemen are the sources that govern the daily news.

Hear all, trust nothing. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #190.
  • Options
    A heatwave is not the same as a flood. France is not America, it is not the richest country in the world. If the French govt fucked up, then yes, they should be fiercely criticised. But the 2 situations are just not comparable.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kentish wrote:
    He also said the BBC was "government-owned". Surely the two allegations are mutually exlcusive?

He's just trying to sell more papers.
    :yes: That IS his job, after all, to Make Money.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    A heatwave is not the same as a flood. France is not America, it is not the richest country in the world. If the French govt fucked up, then yes, they should be fiercely criticised. But the 2 situations are just not comparable.

Other than the obvious geographical differences between the two I don’t see any real difference and you’re claiming that they’re different and not explaining why doesn’t really help either.

Are you trying to say that France’s poor response to the heat wave was because France isn’t the richest country in the world? If so that’s just about the stupidest thing I think you’ve ever said. France is still one of the wealthiest countries in the world. Like the American federal government with Katrina the French government was incompetent.
  • Options
    Other than the obvious geographical differences between the two I don’t see any real difference and you’re claiming that they’re different and not explaining why doesn’t really help either.

An obvious difference is the power of the two governments to affect the two disasters outcomes. France wasn't in the position of refusing to build more clouds, against the advice of every expert and it's own army, or was it?

On the other hand, a good percentage of it's staff weren't thousands of miles from home collecting oil.
  • Options
    The French government's response was actually widely criticised for exacerbating the problem, but that is by the by.

The two situations are not comparable in any way. The US could have helped by not cutting funding, and by laying on a few buses to get the poor out, instead of just leaving everyone to rot. The heatwave was a lot different, in that it did not effect one limited geographical range, and was not avoidable by simply moving people and actually providing some food and water. Laying on 50 million air-con units isn't quite as achievable as laying on a few hundred buses and some military ration packs.

But to get back to the point.

Anthony Blair very probably did condemn the BBC for attacking his dear little chum Dubya. That says more about the toothy cunt than the BBC, I think. The BBC are not "Government-owned", but the simple fact is that if Blair says jump, the Beeb do ask how high, in case the Government don't allow the tax-scroungers to impose yet another inflation-busting tax increase on the poor.

The BBC should be shut down immediately, the money-wasting tax-cheat benefit scroungers that they are. It has no place in a modern world.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Story

Rupert Murdoch has said that Blair has criticised the BBC's coverage as impartial and 'full of hate' for the USA. In my eyes there wasn't any but I'm sure others will disagree.

However my point is, is how can Murdoch criticise anyone about impartial media coverage while his scummy little rag has done it's best to demonise certain groups of people ay?

Who really believes anything Rupert Murdoch says anyway?

Let along hearsay in a supposed private conversation.

If the hearsay is true, and thats what Tony blair did say, hes only hurting still from his government being caught out robbing from the internet to pad out its dossier on Iraq.
  • Options
    Discussing media bias and unfair reporting with Rupert Murdoch is like discussing anti-semitism with Adolph Hitler.

What a hideous clueless **** Tony Blair is :mad:
  • Options

Are you trying to say that France’s poor response to the heat wave was because France isn’t the richest country in the world? If so that’s just about the stupidest thing I think you’ve ever said. France is still one of the wealthiest countries in the world. Like the American federal government with Katrina the French government was incompetent.

I think kermit just about covered it.
  • Options
    If he was indeed annoyed by the World Service coverage then it is the Foreign Office he should be having a go at, they fund the World Service, not the licence fee.