Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Acne Treatments

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Currently i'm using clearasil face wash and three day active treatment twice a day every day, but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Are there any treatments (Preferably non-prescription) that people have used and have succes with?

Is it possible im overloading my face with chemicals? Causing the acne?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Tea tree? Witch hazel, and also I see Boots have just started selling deep sea mud soap bars
  • Options
    Go to your chemist and ask if they have Panoxy gel. It comes in 2.5 5 and 10 strengths. Ask them which one they think you'll need. Thats one of the things you're doc would could you if u went the docs and was after a wash thing.
  • Options
    free derm gel! It's expensive but works really well. I have very sensitive skin and its fine on me.
  • Options
    Quinoderm seems to do the trick! Can sting a little if you have sensitive skin though! :mad:
  • Options
    You could try going to the doctors. I used to have problems with my skin and I went to the docs and got tablets which seemed to help.
  • Options
    ginge86 wrote:
    Quinoderm seems to do the trick! Can sting a little if you have sensitive skin though! :mad:

:yes:
  • Options
    Whatever you do, stop using rubbish like Clearasil! It is not an acne treatment in any sense of the term. All it is likely to do is dry your skin out and irritate it.
  • Options
    zebide wrote:
    Currently i'm using clearasil face wash and three day active treatment twice a day every day, but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Are there any treatments (Preferably non-prescription) that people have used and have succes with?

Is it possible im overloading my face with chemicals? Causing the acne?

Thanks.

Unless you're getting the American / Canadian version it won't work and even then these things don't tend to do much for you... there is a very good reaosn why these product don't get rid of Acne, because if they did you wouldn't need to use as much and the manufacturers would sell less of it.

Fight Acne from the inside out.

Eat lots of seafood and get Zinc from it - or buy zinc tablets but don't take them at the same time as Vitamin A

drink lots of water (stuff that comes out of the tap not the stuff included in cola / lemonade / tea / coffee)

get a decent night's sleep

if your pillow case is coloured then get a white cotton case with no colour at all in it - while you're sleeping the dyes rub off on your face

try making a face mask out of honey, the mild acids in them will help bring out new skin (but will distroy a CD)

quit the chocolates - not matter what any clinical studies say, years of my own personal experience tell me the two are linked.
  • Options
    I've got a tube of that freederm stuff, got it free from a rep who come in. I was gonna use it but my spots aint that bad and then its like a tiny tube(25g) for £9 and u have to apply it twice a day. You can ask your doc for it though if you have used it and it works but cant afford it. Some docs do some dont.
  • Options
    I use Proactiv ordered from America, as it's the only place you can get it. And to be honest it's the best stuff i've ever used, my face has cleared up and generally looks much happier. It's expensive but worth it.
  • Options
    Unless you're getting the American / Canadian version it won't work and even then these things don't tend to do much for you... there is a very good reaosn why these product don't get rid of Acne, because if they did you wouldn't need to use as much and the manufacturers would sell less of it.

Fight Acne from the inside out.

Eat lots of seafood and get Zinc from it - or buy zinc tablets but don't take them at the same time as Vitamin A

drink lots of water (stuff that comes out of the tap not the stuff included in cola / lemonade / tea / coffee)

get a decent night's sleep

if your pillow case is coloured then get a white cotton case with no colour at all in it - while you're sleeping the dyes rub off on your face

try making a face mask out of honey, the mild acids in them will help bring out new skin (but will distroy a CD)

quit the chocolates - not matter what any clinical studies say, years of my own personal experience tell me the two are linked.

A few good pieces of advice there. I fought a long and arduous battle with acne. In the end the only thing which budged it was roaccutane. Sleep is very important.

I also agree about chocolate. I know that all the studies show that it has no effect, and it would be fair to say it doesn't 'cause' acne in the sense that some people could eat chocolate for breakfast, lunch and tea and still not get a single spot, BUT in my experience it can certainly aggravate acne in those who are prone to it anyway.