Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stopped smoking and weight gain

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically I've stopped smoking around a month ago and am starting to put on weight. Now I'm not obssessed with the way I look, nor am I insecure but I think one day I might want a partner and I can't be doing with the rejection for my weight.

So basically, anybody got any tips on losing weight after smoking?

I don't eat a lot and have a pretty healthy diet, I only go for a drink once a week at the most too. I walk everywhere and for at least an hour a day but I'm still big.

Comments

• Options
    Ok let me put it this way, just keep doing the things that you're doing. Well done on giving up smoking. And in regards for being rejected for your weight by a partner, honey...if they do that they ain't worth being your partner. You dig?
    I used to be skinny as hell and now I'm lets just say a bit curvier and bigger than I'd like to be. But it hasn't given me any problems. Don't worry about your weight, as long as it's healthy and your're not morbidly obese it shouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    Agree with StarCrossed, but if it really concerns you then you could find some extra activity which you may enjoy e.g. swimming? Am trying to quit smoking myself, well done for it! :)
  • Options
    i thought that the only reason people put on weight when they stopped smoking was because they replaced the cigs with snacking..?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i thought that the only reason people put on weight when they stopped smoking was because they replaced the cigs with snacking..?
    Nope, I don't eat a lot really and haven't increased my food intake... I drink a lot less too.
  • Options
    Nicotine speeds up the body's metabolism, so when you give up nicotine, the body goes back to it's natural, slower speed, causing weight gain.

Although, some people do tend to use food as a substitute for fags, but that isn't the main reason they'd put weight on - it's the metabolism after giving up nicotine.

Ilora x
  • Options
    it's only been a month though. is your weight normally very stable? and has there been a big weight gain?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:

Every smoker I met says that when they try giving up, food tastes better cos your tongue isn't coated in ciggie glunk

.. I'd suggest to try and drink a lot of extra tap water each day.

There are lots of theories suggesting lack of water intake (not tea, coffee, juices, etc) slows metabolism .. at the very least it's a dman cheap thing to try :)

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/dietandfitness/wtmngment/weightloss/articles/0,9544,233_576059,00.html
  • Options
    at the end of the day if you're only putting on a bit of weight... its not that much of a health concern in comparission to smoking. well done you for quitting... keep it up. best bet is to fidgit with something and keep your hands busy... it will stop you eating (and smoking). ;)
  • Options
    I gave up the ciggies about a year ago, and I did put on a little weight, but I have found that drinking water regularly throughout the day has helped my metabolism. It has also stopped me wanting to snack - which is good and what I was prone to doing even when I smoked.